Spartanburg, S.C. – Jada Kinlaw recorded her second multi-goal game in the last four outings and was one of three Spartans to score as the USC Upstate women's soccer team picked up a 4-1 non-conference win over the Delaware State Hornets on Sunday afternoon from County University Soccer Stadium.
USC Upstate improves to 4-2 on the season while Delaware State falls to 1-5 overall.
STATS OF THE MATCH
- The Spartans attempted a season-high 24 shots in the contest and limited the Hornets to eight.
- The 24 attempts mark the second time this season that USC Upstate has taken 20 or more shots in a game after opening the season with 22 against USC Beaufort.
- The Spartans also held a 13-5 advantage in attempts on goal and 14-3 in corner kicks.
- Delaware State led 9-4 in saves.
- Kinlaw scored her third and fourth goals of the season to lead USC Upstate offensively.
- Abbie Ellis contributed her team-leading fifth goal of the year while Isabella Burns scored her third.
- Emelie Valenciano and Kayla Dean both had one assist.
- Burns took a team-high six shots with four going on goal.
- Jade Jamison scored her second goal of the year for the Hornets and was one of four players to take two shots.
- Samantha Munyon grabbed four saves to collect her fourth win of the season in goal.
- Delaware State goalie Leslie Fazio finished with nine saves.
USC UPSTATE GOALS
- Kinlaw gave the Spartans a 1-0 lead in the 21st minute after receiving a pass from 30 yards away. She beat her defender and scored one-on-one far side past the goalkeeper. (Delaware State 0, USC Upstate 1)
- Ellis wasted little time in the second half putting the Spartans ahead 2-0. Ellis stole a pass from the Hornets, took a few dribbles and scored from 30 yards out over the head of Fazio. (Delaware State 0, USC Upstate 2)
- Kinlaw registered her second goal of the game and extended USC Upstate's lead back to two, 3-1, with Valenciano receiving the assist. Valenciano made a through pass by the Delaware State defense and left Kinlaw with a one-on-one opportunity. She went around Fazio and scored into the open net. (Delaware State 1, USC Upstate 3)
- Burns followed less than a minute later scoring off Dean's first assist of the year. Dean made a long pass over the Hornets defense and allowed Burns to score after a one-on-one chance. (Delaware State 1, USC Upstate 4)
DELAWARE STATE GOALS
- Jamison cut Delaware State's deficit down to 2-1 in the 58th minute. The initial attempt by Alexa Gibbs was blocked and Jamison put the rebound past Munyon. (Delaware State 1, USC Upstate 2)
- The Spartans remain in town on Friday, Sept. 7 making the short trip to Wofford for a 7 p.m. contest against the Terriers.
Follow USC Upstate women's soccer on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateWSoccer), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/email alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).