FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Katie Parker, email@example.com
SPARTANBURG, S.C. – The USC Upstate volleyball team (6-12, 1-5 A-Sun) closes out its six-match homestand with three Atlantic Sun Conference matches this week.
THE WEEK AHEAD:
Owl Outlook: The Spartans open the week hosting Kennesaw State Tuesday at 7 p.m. KSU holds a 7-2 record against Upstate, including a 2-2 mark in Spartanburg. Earlier this season, the Owls picked-up a close 3-1 victory over the Spartans by scores of 29-27, 25-17, 23-25 and 29-27 at Kennesaw State Sept. 18. With a 4-3 record in A-Sun play, the Owls are fourth in the conference standings. KSU ranks third in league action with 13.33 assists per set.
North Florida News Flash: Upstate hosts North Florida Friday at 7 p.m. UNF is 27-5 all-time against the Spartans, including a 10-4 record in Spartanburg. Last season, Upstate defeated the Ospreys 3-0 (25-20, 25-23 and 25-22) Oct. 7, 2011 in the Hodge Center. Among A-Sun play, UNF leads tops the conference in service aces, recording 37 to average 1.37 aces per set.
Dolphin Data: Jacksonville travels to Spartanburg Saturday for a 3 p.m. conference match-up. The Dolphins hold a 6-1 advantage in the all-time series, including a 3-1 mark at Upstate. The Spartans earned their first win against Jacksonville last season, when Upstate claimed a 3-2 victory (25-20, 23-25, 23-25, 25-23 and 17-15) Oct. 8, 2011 in Spartanburg. JU currently ranks third in league competition, averaging 2.15 blocks per set.
• Upstate went 1-2 last week, picking up a 3-0 nonconference win over Savannah State and dropping a pair of A-Sun contests.
• Sophomore Kayla McAvoy (Boiling Springs, S.C.) ranks fourth in the A-Sun in hitting percentage with a .320 mark and ranks fourth in kills per set with 3.38. She leads the team with 203 kills this season.
• Senior Emily Bingham (St. Petersburg, Fla.) is second on the squad with 172 kills. She boasts a .283 attack percentage on the year to rank seventh in the league, averaging 2.73 kills a set. She leads Upstate in blocking with 39 total denials, averaging 0.62 blocks a set.
• Freshman Kayla Eversgerd (Breese, Ill.) and senior Mindy Quimby (Keenesburg, Colo.) the only Spartans with 100-plus kills and digs on the year. Eversgerd has 170 kills and 148 digs, while Quimby had 105 kills and 114 digs.
• Senior Emily Sanders (Sullivan, Ill.) paces the Spartans with 257 digs, averaging 4.08 per set. She ranks second in the conference in A-Sun play, averaging 4.60 digs per set.
All three of the Spartans' matches this week will be streamed live on ASun.TV for free and will also available on live stats here. Follow Upstate volleyball this season on your mobile device, Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.