Spartans Host Wofford Wednesday in Crosstown Matchup
Game Notes (PDF)
SPARTANBURG, S.C. – The USC Upstate women's tennis team welcomes Wofford College to town Wednesday afternoon for a 3 p.m. crosstown showdown with the Terriers.
The Spartans (2-1) will look to get back on track after a 4-3 loss at UNC Asheville last weekend, while Wofford (2-1) searches for a third consecutive win after opening the season with a defeat at Winthrop.
- The Spartans split a pair of matches last weekend, picking up a 5-2 decision over visiting Charlotte, before falling 4-3 on the road at UNC Asheville. The loss to the Bulldogs marked the first time this season Upstate won the doubles point but lost the match.
- Julie Bell and Taylor Cohen led the charge at No. 1 doubles last weekend, going a perfect 2-0, including a thrilling 9-8 (7-5) victory over the Charlotte 49ers. The combo also registered an 8-6 over UNC Asheville to clinch the doubles point.
- Constanze Kuerten is the only Upstate player with a perfect singles record this season, posting a 3-0 mark with a win at the No. 2 spot and two more at No. 3 singles.
- The Spartans are 7-4 on the year in doubles matches, including a 3-1 record at the No. 1 spot. Upstate has managed to capture the doubles point in each of its last three matches.
- Wofford has won back-to-back matches, defeating North Carolina A&T 7-0 and knocking off Delaware State 6-1. The Terriers are looking for their first three-game winning streak of the year, while Upstate is looking to avoid back-to-back losses for the first time on the young season.
Last Time Out: The USC Upstate women's tennis team held a 3-0 lead Saturday afternoon on the road, but the Spartans could not hold off a furious UNC Asheville rally, falling 4-3 to the Bulldogs in non-conference action.
Next Time Out: The Spartans will enjoy a nine-day break before traveling to take on Davidson (Feb. 15) and Elon (Feb.16) next weekend.