Spartans Sweep Mercer on Senior Day
Spartanburg, S.C. – Ana-Sofia Camberos was honored in a pre-match ceremony prior to the start of the A-Sun women's tennis match against Mercer Saturday morning at the USC Upstate Tennis Complex. By the end of the match, Camberos celebrated a pair of match wins and a Spartan sweep of the Bears by a 7-0 score.
Camberos, a senior from San Luis Potosi, Mexico, was honored as the lone senior on this year's Upstate women's tennis team. She went out and teamed with Maria Tonani (Lima, Peru) to take an 8-1 win at No. 3 doubles. She then took a 6-1, 6-2 win at No. 5 singles to record a pair of match wins on the day.
"It was a good day for us," said Upstate head coach Oliver Trittenwien. "The team played with a mission to win for Sofie on Senior Day. It was nice for Sofie to win her matches that went toward the win for the team. This should be good momentum heading into our last regular season match next week."
The No. 1 doubles match was a tough match. Upstate's Isabel von Stryk (Holm, Germany) and Tali Rojas (Lima, Peru) took an 8-5 victory over Lucie Payrat and Jennifer Lada. Julie Bell (Lubbock, Texas) and Hannah Al-Sakati (Duisburg, Germany) took an 8-2 victory over Amanda Bertani and Melanie Schumalis at the No. 2 spot. Camberos and Tonani recorded their 8-1 win at No. 3 doubles over Mercer's Sarah Hanna and Katherine Cooper.
The Spartans kept it rolling in singles play, winning five matches in straight sets. At No. 1, von Stryk took a 6-3, 6-1 victory over Payrat. Bell took a 6-1, 6-3 victory over Bertani at No. 3, while Al-Sakati claimed a 6-0, 6-3 win over Schumalis at the No. 4 position. Camberos won her match over Hanna at No. 5, while Tonani claimed a 6-0, 6-1 victory at No. 6 singles. The only match to go three sets was at No. 2 singles where Rojas took a 5-7, 6-2, 10-4 victory over Lada.
USC Upstate 7, Mercer 0
1. Isabel von Stryk (UPST) def. Lucie Payrat (MER); 6-3, 6-1
2. Talia Rojas (UPST) def. Jennifer Lada (MER); 5-7, 6-2, 10-4
3. Julie Bell (UPST) def. Amanda Bertani (MER); 6-1, 6-3
4. Hannah Al-Sakati (UPST) def. Melanie Schumilas (MER); 6-0, 6-3
5. Ana-Sofia Camberos (UPST) def. Sarah Hanna (MER); 6-1, 6-2
6. Maria Tonani (UPST) def. Katherine Cooper (MER); 6-0, 6-1
1. Talia Rojas/Isabel von Stryk (UPST) def. Lucie Payrat/Jennifer Lada (MER); 8-5
2. Julie Bell/Hannah Al-Sakati (UPST) def. Amanda Bertani/Melanie Schumilas (MER); 8-2
Mercer: 2-11, 0-7 A-Sun
USC Upstate: 7-13, 4-4 A-Sun