Spartans Fall at Home to North Florida
SPARTANBURG, S.C. – North Florida claimed a 7-0 victory over the USC Upstate women's tennis team in Atlantic Sun tennis action Friday morning at the Upstate Tennis Complex.
North Florida was able to claim the doubles point in commanding fashion, as Victoria Krook and Melinda Doak were able to claim an 8-1 victory over Upstate's Catherine Estupinan and Samantha Knopsnyder at the No.3 position, while UNF's Danielle Day and Melanie Aguirre posted an 8-2 win over Ana-Sofia Camberos and Maria Tonani at the No. 2 doubles flight. The
In singles play, the Spartans put up a solid collective effort, especially at the No. 1, No. 5 and No. 6 positions. Playing against the Atlantic Sun preseason Player of the Year Aline Berkenbrock, Anna-Sofia Camberos proved to be a formidable foe, but surrendered a 6-4, 6-2 decision in the end.
At No. 3, Lima, Peru native Maria Tonani, who was playing in just her second match of the season, showed little signs of rust, forging a solid effort against UNF's Victoria Krook. However, Krook was able to hold off Tonani, 6-4, 6-2
The No. 5 position saw one of the more competitive individual matches of the morning. Talia Rojas, was edged by UNF's Simona Weymar, 6-4, 6-3
Samantha Knopsnyder produced one of her most spirited efforts of the campaign, as she dropped a 6-4, 6-1 decision to UNF's Melinda Doak at the No. 6 position.
Upstate returns to the court tomorrow morning, as they will battle the second half of the River City tandem, taking on the Jacksonville Dolphins in a match slated for 10:00 a.m.
Tennis Match Results
North Florida vs USC Upstate
Mar 11, 2011 at Spartanburg, S.C.
(USC Upstate Tennis Complex)
North Florida 7, USC Upstate 0
1. Aline Berkenbrock (UNFW) def. Ana-Sofia Camberos (UPSTW) 6-4, 6-2
2. Danielle Day (UNFW) def. Karen Martinez (UPSTW) 6-0, 7-5
3. Victoria Krook (UNFW) def. Maria Tonani (UPSTW) 6-1, 6-3
4. Melanie Aguirre (UNFW) def. Catherine Estupinan (UPSTW) 6-0, 6-0
5. Simona Weymar (UNFW) def. Talia Rojas (UPSTW) 6-4, 6-3
6. Melinda Doak (UNFW) def. Samantha Knopsnyder (UPSTW) 6-4, 6-1
1. Aline Berkenbrock/Simona Weymar (UNFW) def. Karen Martinez/Talia Rojas (UPSTW) 8-1
2. Danielle Day/Melanie Aguirre (UNFW) def. Ana-Sofia Camberos/Maria Tonani (UPSTW) 8-2
3. Victoria Krook/Melinda Doak (UNFW) def. Catherine Estupinan/Samantha Knopsnyder (UPSTW) 8-1
North Florida 6-2, 2-0 A-Sun
USC Upstate 0-10, 0-3 A-Sun