Spartans to Host Eagles in Home Opener
SPARTANBURG, S.C. – When the Spartans step on the court Sunday morning against Georgia Southern, it will be the first match for the USC Upstate women's team in more than two weeks.
The Spartans (0-1) will host the Georgia Southern Eagles in Upstate's home opener at 11:00 a.m. The Eagles have yet to compete in a match and open their season on the road at South Carolina State on Saturday afternoon.
The Spartans had last weekend's match at Elon postponed for a later date yet to be determined. The last time Upstate took the courts they fell to the No. 11 Clemson Tigers, 0-5, on Jan. 22, 2011.
• The Spartans are 4-1 all-time against teams from the Southern Conference.
• The Spartans have won four straight home openers dating back to the Spring of 2007.
• Karen Martinez had the best showing for the Spartans at Clemson as she won multiple games in each set before ultimately falling to Clemson's Nelly Ciolkowski by a score of 3-6, 2-6.
• Upstate was tabbed sixth in the Atlantic Sun Conference preseason coaches' poll released on Thurs., Jan. 20, 2011.
• The Spartans finished 12-5 overall a season ago and were 6-4 in the A-Sun (T-4th).