In Step With...Janna Lewis
Spartanburg, S.C. - Janna Lewis is a senior second baseman on the Upstate softball team and has developed into the leader of the squad in 2012. A starter since her freshman season, she has been a part of the development of the program on the Division I level.
Lewis, from Huntersville, N.C., was a starter on the 2010 squad that won 41 games and advanced to the championship game of the A-Sun Tournament. Last year, she topped the Spartans and ranked second in the A-Sun with a .382 batting average to go along with a team-high 16 doubles in leading the Spartans to a Division I era school record 42 wins.
As the season gets underway, upstatespartans.com gives an insight to Lewis in the following question and answer session.
Question and Answers
This year's team is full of newcomers. With 12 freshmen and a bunch of new faces in the lineup, how do you think things are going early in the season?
- I think things are going better than we could have ever hoped for. This team is busting at the seams with talent, commitment and drive to be the best. Everyone works so hard on and off the field. It's an honor to be a part of something this special. Keep an eye out, we're just getting started!
As a senior and a leader, how difficult has it been to mesh the new faces with the returning players?
- With fourteen new additions this year—twelve freshmen and two transfers—surprisingly easy! All of us get along great and mesh so well, there's no work to it.
This is your last season and I'm sure you will make more memories the remainder of the season. But, what has been your favorite memory to date?
- It's impossible to pick just one! Honestly this entire experience at Upstate—the people I've met and the memories we've made each year—is something that I'll never forget and always hold dear to my heart.
What brought you to USC Upstate? Why was Upstate the place for you?
- I was blessed to be able to go on visits to other schools and choose among them, but none made me feel at home like Upstate did. I knew going somewhere that placed a huge emphasis not only on athletic performance but academic performance as well was the place for me, and Upstate did that better than any other.
You are going to graduate in May with a degree in Communications (Journalism). What are your career plans?
- My immediate plans are to take the GRE and get into a good graduate program. I want to get as much out of an education as possible, and I feel like getting a Masters degree will help me along. I'd love to do something with business in marketing or advertisement where I can work interpersonally and still be creative.
You led the team and ranked second in the A-Sun in hitting a year ago with a .382 batting average. What was it about last year that everything seemed to click and what are your expectations personally and for the team this season?
- I think I just got to a place where I was completely confident and comfortable in my playing ability. Sometimes you lose that for a little while, but finding it again is wonderful. This team is overflowing with talent, and I expect great things to follow all the hard work we've put in. All I hope to do is set an example as a hard-working leader that is a source of support and motivation for my team family. As long as we have each other's backs and continue to work hard and push for the best, the softball will take care of itself.
Rapid Fire Questions
- What's your favorite pet? Dogs
- What's your favorite food? Japanese
- Would you rather vacation at the beach or the mountains? Beach
- What's your favorite type of music? Anything with a good beat!
- What's the best book you have ever read? Harry Potter