The Le Triomphe Classic is hosted by McNeese State at the Le Triomphe Golf and Country Club. The course plays at 6,227 yards and is a par-72 layout. The 16 teams in the tournament will play 54 holes with 36 played on Monday and the final 18 played on Tuesday.
Upstate and Florida Gulf Coast will represent the A-Sun in the tournament. Joining them and host McNeese State in the event is Centenary, Central Arkansas, Chicago State, Houston Baptist, Lamar, McLennan CC, Shorter, Stephen F. Austin, Sam Houston State, South Alabama, Texas-Pan American, Toledo and Xavier.
Upstate is coming off a tremendous fall season that saw the Spartans post the lowest stroke average for a semester in school history. The current 316.8 stroke average per round is also on pace to shatter the all-time season average of 322.3 by 5.5 strokes. In addition, Brittany Lowe became the first women's golfer to earn a weekly award from the A-Sun after being named the A-Sun Golfer of the Week following the Rutgers Invitational.
Upstate head coach Todd Lawton will send the lineup of Taylor Barnes, Marissa Clontz, Amanda Hall, Brittany Lowe and Rachel Reiling into action this week. Barnes, Lowe and Reiling have played in every tournament this year, while Hall has played in three events. Clontz has appeared in two tournaments and has been a spark for the team. Barnes tops the Spartans with a 78.2 stroke average, 3.6 strokes better than her career average. Hall is second at 79.4. Lowe is the third Spartan to average in the 70's, coming in at 79.8. Barnes, Hall and Lowe each have a Top 10 finish on the year with Barnes and Hall claiming a Top 5 effort as well.
News & Notes
- Upstate's team stroke average of 316.8 is 5.5 strokes better than the single season school record of 322.3 set in 2008-09.
- Four different players have finished as the top Spartan in the five tournaments this fall.
- Taylor Barnes tops the Spartans with a 78.2 stroke average, more than three strokes better than her career average.
- Amanda Hall is second on the team with a 79.4 stroke average, more than a stroke better than her career average.
- Brittany Lowe is third on the team with a 79.8 stroke average, nearly 1.5 shots better than her career average.
- Brittany Lowe earned the program's first every A-Sun Golfer of the Week honors following her performance at the Rutgers Invitational.
- This is the first time in program history that three players have averaged in the 70s at the semester break.
- Amanda Hall finished a career-best second at the Holiday Inn Express/Hatter Classic.
- Brittany Lowe finished a career-best eighth at the Terrier Intercollegiate.
- For the first time in program history Upstate had all five Spartans in the lineup shoot in the 70s in the same round. It came in the first round at the CSU Wendy's Invitational.
- For the second and third time in program history, two Spartans finished a 54-hole tournament by shooting all three rounds in the 70s. The first came when Rachel Reiling and Brittany Lowe shot all three rounds at the CSU Wendy's Invitational and the second came when Amanda Hall and Taylor Barnes shot all three rounds in the 70s at the Holiday Inn Express/Hatter Classic.