Upstate Faces-off with Lipscomb in A-Sun Action
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Katie Parker, firstname.lastname@example.org
NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The USC Upstate women's basketball team (5-8, 1-1 A-Sun) returns to Atlantic Sun Conference play Monday, taking on Lipscomb in Music City at Allen Arena. The Spartans have won the last six meetings against the Bison and look to continue that trend with tip-off slated for 2:30 p.m. CT.
This will be the 11th meeting between Upstate and A-Sun opponent Lipscomb. The Spartans hold an 8-2 record in the all-time series, including a 3-2 mark in Music City.
The Bison are 1-12 on the season, including a 1-4 record at home. Lipscomb has lost six-straight contests and is 0-3 in conference play, dropping 77-64 loss at North Florida Dec. 31, a 58-45 decision at Jacksonville Jan. 2 and an 80-74 loss against ETSU Jan. 5. LU had three players score double-figures against ETSU as Alex Banks led the way with 15 points. Hannah Phillips and Presley Stastny each tallied 14 points, while Jess Reece grabbed a team-high nine rebounds to go along with eight points.
On the season, Phillips leads LU in both points and rebounds, averaging 12.3 points a game and 6.2 boards per outing. Stastny is second on the squad with 9.7 points per contest, while Banks puts up 7.2 points a game and snags 4.2 rebounds a contest.
The last time Upstate and Lipscomb faced off, the Spartans claimed a 50-44 win at Allen Arena in Nashville Feb. 18, 2012. In the contest, Upstate was led by Tee'Ara Copney with 16 points and nine rebounds, while Lauren McRoberts posted a double-double of 15 points and a career-high 15 boards. Hannah Ohl tallied eight points, while Copney handed out a game-high four assists.
The Bison were led by Morgan Faulkner with 11 points in their last meeting with the Spartans. O'Neisha Smith registered a double-double for LU, putting up 10 points and collecting 10 rebounds. Sasha Robinson helped the team with six points and six boards.
SPARTAN QUICK HITS
• The Spartans fell to 2-5 on the road this season after dropping a 70-62 decision at A-Sun newcomer Northern Kentucky Saturday. They continue their first conference road swing of the season, traveling to Music City to take on Lipscomb.
• Upstate tops the Atlantic Sun in defensive rebounds, snagging 27.6 defensive boards per game. Despite playing three nationally ranked teams this season, the Spartans are currently second in the conference in field goal percent defense with their opponents shooting 37.1 percent.
• The Spartans are second in the league in field goal percentage, shooting 42.0 percent from the floor, while ranking 55th in the NCAA national statistical rankings.
• Copney tied two all-time career records at NKU Saturday, tallying 172 made career three-pointers and 145 career steals.
• Copney has posted double-figures in nine contests this season, including six-straight. She leads the Spartans, averaging 12.7 points an outing to rank fifth in the A-Sun statistical rankings.
• Junior Valese McAllister recorded 12 points against the Norse Saturday, marking her first double-digit point outing this season.
• Upstate closed out a four-game homestand with a 90-79 victory over ETSU Jan. 2 to open A-Sun play. Wednesday's contest was also the first time all season five Spartans have scored in double-digits.
• Ohl posted a career-high 19 points against ETSU. In the last four contests, she has made a combined 15 baskets from three-point range. Ohl posted a career-high five made treys against High Point Dec. 16 and then again against ETSU Jan. 2, while draining four three-balls against Furman Dec. 29.
• Freshman Brittany Starling turned in her first career double-double against ETSU, registering 10 points and a season-high 10 rebounds.
Fans can watch the action as its streamed live for free at ASun.TV or follow along on Live Stats. Join in the conversation on Twitter at #UpstateWBB. Follow Upstate women's basketball this season on your mobile device, Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.