Spartans Square-Off with No. 9/8 Kentucky
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Katie Parker, firstname.lastname@example.org
SPARTANBURG, S.C. – The USC Upstate women's basketball team (2-4) hit the road again, this time traveling to No. 9/8 Kentucky for a 1 p.m. contest Saturday. The game will air on ESPN3, UK IMG Sports Network and FSN South.
This will be the second meeting between Kentucky and Upstate. The Spartans traveled to Lexington, Ky., to open their inaugural Division I season. UK claimed a 74-59 win Nov. 10, 2007 inside Memorial Coliseum.
The Wildcats hold a 3-1 record this season and are currently ranked in both major national polls. They are No. 9 in the AP Top 25 Poll and No. 8 in the ESPN/USA Today Coaches' Poll. UK's lone loss of the season came at the hands of then-No. 1/1 Baylor Nov. 13 via an 85-51 decision.
In Kentucky's last outing, UK earned a 73-37 win at home against Morehead State. The Wildcats were led by a quartet of players scoring double-digits as Samarie Walker led the way with a game-high 15 points, while A'dia Mathies put up 11 points and DeNesha Stallworth and Bria Goss recorded 10 points each. Walker and Stallworth completed their double-doubles, grabbing 13 and 10 rebounds, respectively. Azia Bishop flirted with a double-double of nine points and 10 boards.
On the season, Mathies paces the squad with 14.0 points per game, while Goss is second on the team with 9.8 points an outing. Walker leads the Wildcats in rebounding, averaging 10.3 boards a game.
SPARTAN QUICK HITS
• Upstate improved to 4-2 in home-openers over the last five years with an 83-26 win over St. Andrews Monday night. Senior Tee'Ara Copney led the team with 19 points, while freshman Tweety Hawkins recorded 13 points.
• The Spartans closed-out a four-game road swing, taking a 75-45 loss at No. 14/19 West Virginia Saturday. Upstate opened the season with two-straight losses as the Spartans dropped contests at Purdue Nov. 10 and at Old Dominion Nov. 13.
• Upstate picked-up its first win of the season at Norfolk State Nov. 15 with a 71-64 come-from-behind overtime win.
• In six games this season, the Spartans are shooting 67.9 percent from the charity stripe. Copney leads the way, remaining perfect on the season, going 7-for-7 from the line, while sophomore Shelby Hicks is second on the team, connecting on 13-of-15 from the line for 86.7 percent.
• Freshman center Brittany Starling sparkled for Upstate Nov. 13 at Old Dominion, pacing the team with 17 points. She was a perfect 7-for-7 from the floor. The rookie posted double-figures again Nov. 15 at Norfolk state, recording 10 points.
• Copney led the Spartans against the Boilermakers Nov. 10, posting 16 points, while Starling pulled down a team-high five rebounds. Copney also led Upstate against NSU Nov. 15 with another 16 points. Freshman Tweety Hawkins was second on the team against NSU, putting up 14 points.
• Upstate has a difficult nonconference slate this season with four NCAA Tournament teams from last year on the docket, including three teams currently ranked in the AP Top 25 and ESPN/USA Today Poll in Kentucky, West Virginia and Purdue.