Spartans Set to Serve Up Pair of Weekend Road Matches
Game Notes (PDF)
SPARTANBURG, S.C. – The USC Upstate men's tennis team is back on the road this weekend, traveling east to take on Coastal Carolina and No. 39 UNC Wilmington in a pair of non-conference matches.
- The Spartans are searching for back-to-back wins for the first time this season and looking for their first true road win of the season after a 4-3 win over Eastern Washington earlier this year came at a neutral site.
- Matthias Kidler has won back-to-back matches at the top spot for the Spartans in singles action, picking up a 3-6, 7-5, 7-6 (7-3) marathon victory against Portland and quickly dismantling the top player from Gardner-Webb 6-1, 6-3.
- Upstate was perfect in doubles play last week against Gardner-Webb, winning all three matches and doing so in convincing fashion. The win at the No. 1 spot was the first of the year for the Spartans who are now 3-0 when winning the doubles point.
- Coastal Carolina has dropped back-to-back matches, falling 5-2 at UNC Greensboro and getting blanked 7-0 at No. 49 Virginia Tech. The only win for Chanticleers this season came at a neutral site against a winless Mercer squad.
- UNC Wilmington moved up three spots to No. 39 in the country in the latest ITA national rankings after splitting a pair of matches at the ITA Kick-off Weekend in Gainesville, Fla. The Seahawks battled past No. 53 South Alabama 5-2 and fell 4-2 to No. 12 Florida.
Last Time Out: The USC Upstate men's tennis team returned home for the first time in nearly two weeks last Saturday afternoon and dominated Gardner-Webb, winning all three doubles matches and cruising to a 5-2 victory over the Runnin' Bulldogs in non-conference action.
Next Time Out: After a pair of road matches at Coastal Carolina and UNC Wilmington, Upstate returns close to home for two more matches next weekend. The Spartans will travel to nearby Winthrop on Feb. 15, before welcoming Georgia Southern to town Feb. 16.