Spartans Continue Southern Road Swing at North Florida
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: David Beall, firstname.lastname@example.org
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – The USC Upstate men's basketball team will look to put an end to its road woes Saturday afternoon, taking on the North Florida Ospreys at UNF Arena in Atlantic Sun Conference action with tip-off set for 4:30 p.m.
The matchup between the Spartans (14-15, 8-8 A-Sun) and Ospreys (11-17, 6-9 A-Sun) is the second meeting this season and 19th all-time with Upstate looking to sweep the season series.
Date: Sat. Feb. 23 | 4:30 PM EST
Teams: USC Upstate (14-15, 8-8 A-Sun) at North Florida (11-17, 6-9 A-Sun)
Location: Jacksonville, Fla. | UNF Arena (5,800)
Radio: ESPN Spartanburg 97.1 FM / 1400 AM | Radio Talent: Phil Cox (play-by-play)
Live Stats: UNFOspreys.com
Twitter: @UPSTMBB | #UpstateHoops
- The Spartans hold an 11-7 edge in the all-time series with North Florida, including a 63-57 victory on Jan. 24 in the Hodge Center. Upstate has won three straight against the Ospreys and are 4-5 all-time in UNF Arena.
- While both Upstate and North Florida have clinched spots in the upcoming 2013 General Shale Atlantic Sun Conference Basketball Championship, each squad can improve its seeding as the Spartans are currently two games out of fourth place and the Ospreys are just one game behind fifth place ETSU.
- After starting 3-0 in A-Sun road games, the Spartans have lost four straight league games away from home and are in desperate need of a road victory. Upstate has also lost five of six overall and matchup with an Osprey club that has won three of their last five games.
- In the Jan. 24 meeting between Upstate and North Florida, Ricardo Glenn took over and notched his fifth double-double of the year with 14 points and a season-high 15 rebounds, while Beau Beech led the Ospreys with 15 points, six rebounds and three steals.
- The Spartans are one of just three teams in the league with three or more players averaging double figures, as Torrey Craig (17.0), Ty Greene (12.6) and Ricardo Glenn (10.5) combine to produce 57-percent of Upstate's offensive production. FGCU and Lipscomb are the only other programs with three or more players averaging double digits.
- Upstate sits atop the league statistics in rebound margin at +4.0, one of just four teams in the positive, while North Florida ranks second to last at -4.2. Rebounds were dead even at 44 when the two teams met earlier this season.
- Torrey Craig continues to etch himself into the Upstate records books as he now ranks No. 5 on the program's all-time scoring list with 1,483 points. He also shot up the program's all-time rebounding list with 26 rebounds over the last two contests and now ranks fourth all-time with 683 total rebounds.
- With 18 more offensive rebounds Thursday at Jacksonville, Upstate continues to pace the league with 13.0 offensive boards per game, led by Ricardo Glenn who tops the league with 3.8 rebounds per contest on the offensive end. The Ospreys rank seventh in the conference at 10.4 offensive rebounds per game.
- With 36 points over the last two games, Torrey Craig has regained the lead in the conference in points per game at 17.0 and is making a case for back-to-back A-Sun Player of the Year honors. Not far behind is UNF's Parker Smith who averages 16.5 points per contest and leads the league with 104 three-pointers made, sitting 34 treys ahead of NKU's Eshaunte Jones.