Spartans, Monarchs Set to Tangle in Second Round of CIT
SPARTANBURG, S.C. – After a 73-58 victory Thursday night over Kent State, the USC Upstate men's basketball team will return to action Sunday afternoon with a 3 p.m. tip-off at Old Dominion in the Second Round of the CollegeInsider.com Tournament.
Fans that cannot make Sunday's contest can catch the action live by clicking the live stats or video link at the top of the page. For those Spartan fans that happen to be on the highway, be sure to tune to ESPN Spartanburg (97.1 FM/1400AM) as Matt Smith and Alex Edwards will be on the call. For those fans outside the Spartanburg area, visit www.espnspartanburg.com and click the listen now button in the lower left corner of the webpage to listen to Sunday's contest.
Join the conversation on Twitter: @UpstateSpartans / #UpstateMBB
• USC Upstate is the only team from the Palmetto State still alive in the post-season... In fact, entering Sunday the Spartans are one of just 57 teams to still be playing basketball this season.
• The 73-58 victory over Kent State was the first victory in the month of March of the D-I era... Prior to Thursday, the last time Upstate won a game in the month of March was a 73-49 win over Armstrong Atlantic State in the 2006 Peach Belt Conference championship game (3/5/06).
• Torrey Craig led a group of four Spartans in double figures in the CIT First Round win over Kent State. Craig (17) was joined by Ty Greene (16), Jodd Maxey (13) and Ricardo Glenn (12). Craig and Greene also recorded career-highs with five steals against the Golden Flashes.
• Torrey Craig needs just 13 points to join the 1,000-point club... He would become 18th player in program history with 1,000 points
• Eddie Payne was named the 2011-12 A-Sun Coach of the Year, while Torrey Craig (Player of the Year) and Ty Greene (Freshman of the Year) also picked up yearly accolades.
• Eddie Payne tallied career win number 400 as the Spartans downed Stetson, 90-72 (Feb. 25).
• Torrey Craig (20 points) led a group of four Spartans in double figures against the Hatters. Adrian Rodgers and Ricardo Glenn each tallied 13, while Jodd Maxey added 11.
• Torrey Craig (30 points) and Ty Greene (22) set new career-highs in the Spartans 87-74 win over FGCU (2/23/12). Ricardo Glenn registered a double-double with 11 points and 14 rebounds.
• The Spartans sank a D-I era record 15 three-pointers against FGCU. Torrey Craig led the way with eight, while Ty Greene (5), Mario Blessing (1) and Adrian Rodgers (1) also hit triples.
• Upstate trimmed a 14-point deficit at Belmont down to three before falling to the Bruins in Nashville, 88-79 (Feb. 20).
• Ty Greene led the Spartans with 18 points against the Bruins, while Adrian Rodgers (13), Ricardo Glenn (13) and Babatunde Olumuyiwa (11) also reached double-figures.
• The Spartans victory over Lipscomb (Feb. 18) was the first-ever for the club against an A-Sun foe in the state of Tennessee.
• Ty Greene scored a game-high 17 points including a step-back three-pointer as time expired to lead Upstate over Lipscomb, 62-61. Greene finished 5-of-10 from the floor and 4-of-8 from beyond the arc.
• Babatunde Olumuyiwa also reached double-figures against the Bison as he tallied 13 points on a 6-for-8 effort from the floor. Meanwhile, Jodd Maxey pulled down a career-high 11 rebounds.
• Torrey Craig was one of 25 finalists for the Lou Henson award that is given annually to the nation's top Mid-Major player. Craig was the only A-Sun player to make the final cut.