Spartans Return to the Hodge Center for Saturday Matinee against Jacksonville
SPARTANBURG, S.C. – Coming off of an Atlantic Sun split in the state of Georgia, the USC Upstate men's basketball team returns to the friendly confines of the Hodge Center for a Saturday afternoon battle against Jacksonville. Tip-off between the Spartans and the Dolphins is slated for 2 p.m.
For those fans that cannot attend Saturday's contest there are several ways you can follow the action from the opening tip to the final horn. Fans can follow the action by clicking the live stats and live video links above.
Join the Conversation on Twitter: @UpstateSpartans
• Upstate head coach Eddie Payne is just five wins shy of 400 for his career.
• With a victory over Jacksonville Saturday, the Spartans will clinch a spot in the A-Sun Tournament (Feb. 29-Mar.3, Macon, Ga.).
• A victory Saturday would set a new record (D-I era) for the program as the Spartans would earn conference win number nine (previous high: 8, 2008-09).
• Torrey Craig led a group of four Spartans in double-figures in the 70-58 win at Kennesaw State (2/6/12). Craig scored 12 second-half points en route to a 15-point performance. Ty Greene (14), Ricardo Glenn (12) and Adrian Rodgers (10) also reached double-digits. Craig and Jodd Maxey tied for a team-high nine rebounds and two blocks against the Owls.
• Upstate's bench outscored Kennesaw State's bench 23-0 and the Spartans led the way in points in the paint (34-22), points off of turnovers (10-9), and fast break scoring (6-4).
• Torrey Craig and Ricardo Glenn each posted 13 points at Mercer (2/4/12). Craig pulled down seven rebounds and tallied three steals, while Glenn grabbed six rebounds (four offensive).
• Torrey Craig was named the CollegeHoops.net A-Sun Player of the Month for January. Craig helped Upstate post a 6-3 mark in January including a four-game win streak to close out the month,
• Jodd Maxey was named the College Sports Madness A-Sun Player of the Week (1/30/11) after averaging 12.5 points, 6.5 rebounds, 4.0 steals and 3.0 blocks per contest in a pair of Upstate wins over Lipscomb and ETSU.
• The Spartans posted their highest field goal percentage of the season (63.8%; 30-for-47) in their 82-77 victory at Jacksonville State (1/30/12). The Spartans also finished 77.8% (7-of-9) from beyond the arc.
• Against the Gamecocks, Ty Greene led a group of five players with a team-high 17 points behind a 4-of-9 effort from the floor (2-2 3FG) and 7-of-8 at the charity stripe. Greene's seven made free three throws tied a career-high.
• Also reaching double figures at Jacksonville State were: Torrey Craig (15 points; 5-6 FG), Adrian Rodgers (13 points; 6-6 FG), Ricardo Glenn (11 points, 5-8 FG) and Mario Blessing (11 points, 4-7 FG [3-4 3FG]). Jodd Maxey finished 3-for-3 from the floor and 2-of-2 at the charity stripe to finish with 8 points. Maxey battled foul trouble, playing just 17 minutes, but finished with four steals and four blocks.
• Jodd Maxey scored a game-high 16 points and grabbed eight rebounds in the victory over ETSU (1/27/12) Maxey also swatted five shots to become the first Spartan since Babatunde Olumuyiwa (6, vs. UNC Asheville, 11/29/10) to block five or more shots in a single game.
Today's Opponent – Jacksonville
Since a victory at Bethune-Cookman (Nov. 21) evened the Dolphins record at 2-2, Jacksonville has gone just 3-17 over its last 20 games, including a 13-game losing streak.
JU snapped the 13-game skid with a 77-74 overtime victory over USC Upstate in Jacksonville, Fla., Jan. 16.
Keith McDougald leads the squad in scoring at 11.6 ppg. Aloys Cabell and Glenn Powell are tied for second on the team at 10.8 ppg.
Delwan Graham leads the squad with 7.0 rpg, while Glenn Powell sits second at 6.8 rpg. Russell Powell is the leading assist man with a total of 97 dimes.
Following Saturday's tilt in Spartanburg, the Dolphins will travel to Johnson City, Tenn., for a Monday night contest at ETSU.
Last Time vs. Jacksonville – Jan. 16, 2012 – Jacksonville 77, Upstate 74 (OT) – Jacksonville, Fla. (Swisher Gymnasium)
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) - Glenn Powell and Delwan Graham each had double-doubles for Jacksonville in a 77-74 overtime victory over USC Upstate Monday night, snapping a 13-game losing streak.
Powell finished with 14 points and 12 rebounds and Graham had 10 points and 11 rebounds, 10 offensive, as the Dolphins (3-15, 1-6 Atlantic Sun Conference) dominated the boards and the extra session.
Jacksonville, which outrebounded the Spartans 45-36, scored overtime's first five points on Keith McDougald's 3 and Russell Powell's jumper. Upstate (10-9, 4-3) cut it to one, 75-74, with 23 seconds left but McDougald made both of his foul shots with 18 seconds to go. Ty Greene, whose 3 sent it to OT, missed another with 4 seconds remaining for the Spartans.
The Dolphins grabbed 25 offensive rebounds, leading to 22 second-chance points.
Torrey Craig had 17 points and 10 rebounds and Greene finished with 20 points for Upstate.