SPARTANBURG, S.C. –The USC Upstate men's basketball team will attempt to slow down the Belmont Bruins on Friday night in the first of two home games this weekend for the Spartans.
Belmont (16-3, 8-0 A-Sun) enters the game averaging 83.4 ppg and owns a margin of victory of 19.3 ppg.
Not only are the Spartans (2-15, 1-6 A-Sun) looking to halt the Bruins seven-game win streak and hand them their first conference blemish, Upstate is looking for its first win in the series.
Earlier this season the Spartans picked up its first win over ETSU after six straight losses. Upstate downed the Bucs 60-59 on Dec. 5 and will be looking for some more magic on Friday night when Belmont arrives in Spartanburg.
• Freshman Marquis Sloan tied a career-high with seven points at Jacksonville.
• Freshman Babatunde Olumuyiwa grabbed a career-best 11 rebounds on Saturday at North Florida.
• Senior Josh Chavis sank a season-best six treys against Stetson, while Torrey Craig tied a career-high with five three's on Saturday. As a team, Upstate connected on 13 shots from beyond the arc, a season-high in the Atlantic Sun.
• Upstate posted a season high 19 assists (26 made field goals) against Stetson. Torrey Craig dished out a career-best seven assists while redshirt freshman Ricardo Glenn record a career-high four assists.
• It took just 15 games for Torrey Craig to surpass the 200 career point plateau with his 24 point performance against Stetson. He has 233 points thus far and is averaging 13.7 ppg this season, while averaging 18.6 ppg in conference games.
• Seniors Josh Chavis and Mezie Uzochukwu continue their climb up the all-time scoring chart. Chavis ranks 30th with 766 career points, while Uzochukwu is for 34th with 742 points.
Since the calendar flipped to 2011, freshman Torrey Craig has been riding an offensive high. In three of the five games thus far, the Rock Hill, S.C., native has scored 20 or more points. He posted a career-high 25 at Kennesaw State (1/3), followed by 24 against Stetson (1/8) and 20 at North Florida (1/15).
So far this season Upstate has used 10 different starting lineups, which is tied for the fifth most in the nation in 2010-11.
Behind Josh Chavis' season high six triples and Torrey Craig matching a career high with five treys against Stetson on Jan. 8, the Spartans knocked down a total of 13 treys which is not only a team-high this season, it is the highest mark in the Atlantic Sun this season.
Upstate finished with a season-best 19 assists on Jan. 8 against Stetson (26 field goals made). Torrey Craig and Ricardo Glenn each record career-highs in assists with seven and four, respectively.