Spartans to Host Mercer in Weekend A-Sun Action
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: David Beall, email@example.com
SPARTANBURG, S.C. – The USC Upstate baseball team is set for a crucial Atlantic Sun Conference series this weekend, welcoming No. 23 Mercer to town for three games at Harley Park.
The Spartans will take on the Bears Friday at 6 p.m., Saturday at 2 p.m. and Sunday at 1 p.m. All three games can be followed through live in-game statistics on the PrestoSports Primetime Network, while Friday's contest will be broadcasted live on ASun.TV.
- The Spartans are coming off mixed results in mid-week action, falling 11-6 to Furman at Fluor Field, before returning home and knocking off Gardner-Webb 9-2.
- Mercer leads the A-Sun in conference wins with 12, but sit in second place based on percentage behind North Florida. Upstate is currently eighth in the league standings, but have the same number of wins as fourth place FGCU and Stetson.
- In his 16th year at the helm of the Spartans, head coach Matt Fincher has 369 victories.
- Upstate will send Brandon Lee (6-3) to the hill Friday evening, followed by David Roseboom (5-2) Saturday and Gaither Bumgardner (5-1) Sunday.
- The Spartans are 18-9 at home this season, while the Bears are 10-8 on the road.
- Upstate has lost eight straight games against Mercer, including all four contests last season.
- Following a weekend series with Mercer, Upstate will enjoy a 10-day break for final exams before returning to the field May 8 at Charleston Southern.
- The Spartans faced the powerful offense of FGCU last weekend and dropped two of three, but Upstate managed to outscore the Eagles 21-15 in the series.
- Six of the nine conference games remaining for Upstate come against the top two teams in the league, with North Florida and Mercer making trips to Harley Park, while the Spartans travel to Kennesaw State.
- With five position players hitting over .300, the Spartans have a .292 team batting average to rank fourth in the league, while Mercer is second with a .297 average.
- With its win Wednesday against Florida A&M, Mercer is now tied with the Mississippi State and NC State for the seventh-most wins in the country with 33.
- The Bears are currently ranked No. 23 in the Perfect Game Top 25 Poll, while sitting at No. 26 in the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association Top 30 Poll.
- Along with its national ranking, Mercer has also ascended to the top of the College Baseball Daily Mid-Major Poll, checking in at No. 1 after just edging No. 2 Louisville.
WHO'S HOT: Upstate's weekend starting pitchers put together a trio of quality starts at FGCU, combining to allow just five earned runs in 21.1 innings of work. David Roseboom and Brandon Lee tossed 14.1 innings and allowed just two earned runs, while striking out 13 over the first two games, and Gaither Bumgardner allowed three earned runs in 7.0 innings of work in the series finale to improve to 5-1 on the season.
WEBER'S EXPLOSION: After putting together one of the best games of his career last Sunday against FGCU, Luke Weber has continued to stay hot with two hits and a home run Tuesday against Furman, while adding three hits Wednesday against Gardner-Webb. The junior is hitting .295 overall on the year, including a .298 mark in conference games.
GO-TO GREER: Brody Greer continues to swing one of the hottest bats on the team, extending his hitting streak to 12 games with a single hit against Furman and two more against Gardner-Webb. The junior is up to the second-best batting average on the team at .319, and continues to pace the club with 13 doubles. Greer is currently one game short of Upstate's longest hitting streak of the year produced by Tyler Lesch mid-way through the season.
RICHARDSON'S POWER NUMBERS: Trey Richardson continues to produce some of the best power numbers in the league, including his seventh home run of the season last Wednesday at Wofford. That two-run line drive home run to left field puts him three homers off the league pace, while his 12 doubles rank in the top 10 in the conference.