Spartans, Dolphins Set for Three-Game Series at Harley Park
SPARTANBURG, S.C. – With exam week just around the corner, the USC Upstate baseball team will host Jacksonville in a three-game conference series beginning Friday night at 6 p.m. Game two of the series is slated for Saturday at 2 p.m., with the finale taking place Sunday at 1 p.m.
For fans that cannot make it out to Harley Park, live stats will be available for all three contests and the series opener will air on ASun.TV. Fans can also join the conversation on twitter: @UpstateSpartans / #UpstateBSB.
• The 2012 season marks the first season of full NCAA Division I eligibility for the Spartans... After a five-year transitional phase from D-II to D-I, Upstate is eligible for postseason play.
• Head Coach Matt Fincher is in his 15th season at the helm of the Spartan baseball program.
• With the 9-6 victory over North Carolina A&T (Apr. 17) the Spartans set a new D-I era record with 26 wins... The Spartans previous high came in the first season of D-I play (2008) when the club posted 25 victories.
• Greg Guers paced the Spartans with a 3-for-4 effort against the Aggies... Guers connected on a three-run homer in the top of the first en route to a three RBI and three run performance.
• Chris Cox improved to 2-0 after tossing five complete innings against North Carolina A&T... The junior, lefty allowed three runs on five hits with four walks and two strikeouts... L.J. Newman, Andrew Wyant and Jake Waller kept the Spartans in front and Chad Sobotka closed the door on the Aggies to pick up his ninth save of the season.
• Upstate snapped a nine-game losing streak to ETSU with a 6-4 victory in the series opener (Apr. 13)... The Spartans went on to sweep the series, their first series win over ETSU since 2008 and the first-ever sweep.
• Austin Liput led Upstate with a 3-for-4 effort to go along with three runs and three RBI as the senior finished a double shy of the cycle in the 6-4 win over ETSU (Apr. 13)... Luke Weber led the Spartans with four hits, three runs and two RBI in the second game (Apr. 14)... Weber's RBI in the top of the 11th proved to be the game-winner as Upstate defeated the Bucs, 8-7... All nine starters recorded at least one hit in Sunday's finale at ETSU as the Spartans held on for a 9-7 win.
• David Roseboom earned the win in game one of the ETSU series to improve to 6-1, while Chad Sobotka earned his eighth save of the year after tossing a scoreless ninth... Game two of the series saw Sobotka toss the final 3.1 innings of the contest as he picked up the win in relief to improve to 3-0... In the finale, Brandon Lee picked up his fifth win of the season and Ben Augenstein allowed just one hit in 1.2 innings to earn his first save in a Spartan uniform.
• Against Charleston Southern (Apr. 10) the middle of the Spartan lineup (Greg Guers, Tyler Miller & Trey Richardson) combined for six hits, five RBI and three runs. At Wofford (Apr. 11), the Spartans were led at the plate by Tyler Cook's 3-for-5 effort with two RBI.