Baseball to Travel up the Mountain for Conference Series at ETSU
SPARTANBURG, S.C. – The USC Upstate Baseball team will hit the road this weekend for a three-game Atlantic Sun Conference series at ETSU. The series will begin Friday night at 7:05 p.m.
Game two of the series is slated for Saturday at 2:05 p.m., with the finale scheduled for 1:05 p.m. Sunday. Live audio and live stats will be available for all three contests and fans can join the conversation on twitter: @UpstateSpartans / #UpstateBSB.
• The 2012 season marks the first season of full NCAA Division I eligibility for the Spartans... After a five-year transitional phase from D-II to D-I, Upstate is eligible for postseason play.
• Head Coach Matt Fincher is in his 15th season at the helm of the Spartan baseball program.
• Upstate went 1-1 during the midweek with a 7-5 victory over Charleston Southern and a 9-4 road loss at Wofford.
• Against CSU, the middle of the Spartan lineup (Greg Guers, Tyler Miller & Trey Ricardson) combined for six hits, five RBI and three runs. At Wofford, the Spartans were led at the plate by Tyler Cook's 3-for-5 effort with two RBI.
• With 22 wins on the season, the Spartans have surpassed last season's win total (19-36) and the last time Upstate won 20 or more games in a season was the first season of D-I play (25-29, 2008). The club, at 7-5 in league play, is just three wins shy of tying its conference win total from a season ago (10-18).
• Upstate trailed Davidson by just one run in the bottom of the ninth with one out and runners on the corners, but the Wildcats were able to close out the game as the Spartans struck out in their final two at-bats.
• The Spartans sent 12 batters to the plate in the fifth inning in Sunday's finale against Florida Gulf Coast (Apr. 1)... Upstate scored eight runs (seven earned) on six hits in the inning as the club posted a 10-2 win and claimed the series two games to one.
• Junior Brandon Lee improved to 4-2 after allowing one run (two total) on four hits... During his 118-pitch outing, Lee struck out eight and surrendered zero walks... Tyler Miller, Austin Liput and Trey Richardson paced the Spartan offense as the trio combined for six hits, four runs and two RBI (both by Richardson).
• Upstate, trailing 4-3, had Jordan Stampler in scoring position at second in the bottom of the ninth, but Stampler was left stranded as the Eagles took the middle game of the three-game set (Mar. 31).
• For the second consecutive week, the Spartans encountered a rain delay on a Friday night... Leading 4-0 (bottom of the seventh), Friday's contest was halted in the second rain delay of the evening... The game resumed Saturday afternoon and the Spartans tacked on two more runs to conclude the scoring at 6-0.
• David Roseboom claimed his fifth win of 2012 as he allowed just five hits and one walk while tying a career-high with six punchouts in seven complete innings... His strong performance earned the southpaw A-Sun Pitcher of the Week honors.
• Tyler Miller (2-for-4, 2R) and Trey Richardson (2-for-3, 2B, 3B, 3RBI) led the Spartans to the series opening win over FGCU.
• Upstate picked up its first-ever series win against North Florida (Mar. 23-25).