Spartans to Host Charleston Southern on Zaxby’s Appreciation Night
SPARTANBURG, S.C. – The USC Upstate baseball team will be at home and away during the mid-week, however the squad will not have to leave the city of Spartanburg for its two contests.
Upstate (21-11) will open the week with Charleston Southern (12-21) Tuesday night at 6 p.m. Zaxby's will be sponsoring Tuesday's event as Lil' Zax will be throwing out the first pitch and the first 20 fans in attendance will receive coupons for five (5) free wings or a chicken fingerz meal. There will also be trivia throughout the night and fans will have the opportunity to win other prizes and coupons.
A day later, the Spartans will make the short trek down Pine Street as they battle Wofford (13-19) Wednesday night at 6 p.m. It will be the first contest in this year's home-and-home series between the two schools. The second contest between the Spartans and the Terriers will take place at Harley Park, April 18th at 6 p.m.
Live Stats will be available for both contests and live video will be available for Wednesday's contest at Wofford. Fans are also encouraged to join the conversation on Twitter: @UpstateSpartans / #UpstateBSB.
• The 2012 season marks the first season of full NCAA Division I eligibility for the Spartans... After a five-year transitional phase from D-II to D-I, Upstate is eligible for postseason play.
• Head Coach Matt Fincher is in his 15th season at the helm of the Spartan baseball program.
• With 21 wins on the season, the Spartans have surpassed last season's win total (19-36) and the last time Upstate won 20 or more games in a season was the first season of D-I play (25-29, 2008). The club, at 7-2 in league play, is just three wins shy of tying its conference win total from a season ago (10-18).
• Upstate trailed Davidson by just one run in the bottom of the ninth with one out and runners on the corners, but the Wildcats were able to close out the game as the Spartans struck out in their final two at-bats.
• The Spartans sent 12 batters to the plate in the fifth inning in Sunday's finale against Florida Gulf Coast (Apr. 1)... Upstate scored eight runs (seven earned) on six hits in the inning as the club posted a 10-2 win and claimed the series two games to one.
• Junior Brandon Lee improved to 4-2 after allowing one run (two total) on four hits... During his 118-pitch outing, Lee struck out eight and surrendered zero walks... Tyler Miller, Austin Liput and Trey Richardson paced the Spartan offense as the trio combined for six hits, four runs and two RBI (both by Richardson).
• Upstate, trailing 4-3, had Jordan Stampler in scoring position at second in the bottom of the ninth, but Stampler was left stranded as the Eagles took the middle game of the three-game set (Mar. 31).
• For the second consecutive week, the Spartans encountered a rain delay on a Friday night... Leading 4-0 (bottom of the seventh), Friday's contest was halted in the second rain delay of the evening... The game resumed Saturday afternoon and the Spartans tacked on two more runs to conclude the scoring at 6-0.
• David Roseboom claimed his fifth win of 2012 as he allowed just five hits and one walk while tying a career-high with six punchouts in seven complete innings... His strong performance earned the southpaw A-Sun Pitcher of the Week honors.
• Tyler Miller (2-for-4, 2R) and Trey Richardson (2-for-3, 2B, 3B, 3RBI) led the Spartans to the series opening win over FGCU.
• Seven different Spartans tallied multiple hits in the 11-3 victory over Gardner-Webb (Mar. 28)... Luke Weber led the charge with a 4-for-6 effort (2B, HR) and one run and one RBI... Trey Richardson tallied three hits and two runs, while Jordan Stampler, Greg Guers, Tyler Miller, Austin Liput, and Tyler Cook all posted two hits in the 17 hit performance.
• After taking a 5-0 lead against Charlotte (Mar. 27) after three innings, the Spartans were outscored 12-1 over the final four innings as the 49ers claimed the 12-6 victory... The contest was even at 6-6 before Charlotte tacked on six runs in the top of the ninth... Greg Guers paced the Spartans with two hits, two runs and one RBI.
• Upstate picked up its first-ever series win against North Florida (Mar. 23-25)... David Roseboom (4-0) tossed a career-high 7.2 innings in the series opener with Chad Sobotka closing out the Ospreys for his sixth save.... In the middle game of the three-game set, David Palladino (3-1) earned the win in relief after tossing a pair of scoreless innings (7th and 8th).