Spartans to Face Wofford and The Citadel in Final Non-Conference Games of 2011
SPARTANBURG, S.C. – The Spartan baseball team will begin its final week of games in the Upstate with a 6:00 p.m. game on Tuesday evening against cross-town rival Wofford. Following Tuesday's game, USC Upstate will battle The Citadel at Fluor Field in Greenville, S.C. at 7:00 p.m.
Wofford claimed the first two meetings of the season, the first coming on Mar. 1, an 8-7 win in 11 innings, followed by a 15-11 victory at Harley Park on Mar. 29.
Upstate and The Citadel split a doubleheader in Charleston, S.C., on Apr. 23. The Spartans claimed game one by a score of 6-2 as Scott DeCecco carried a no-hitter into the fifth and tied a career high with 8.1 innings pitched. The Bulldogs won game two by a score of 3-2.
• Six different Spartans recorded multiple hits in the series finale at Kennesaw State (5/7)... Tyler Miller led the way with four hits, while Blake Green, Trey Richardson, Grason Wiggins and Branden Millhouse each tallied three hits... Wiggins connected on his first career home run and Luke Weber joined the hit parade with two hits.
• The Spartans totaled 20 hits in the 13-9 win over Kennesaw State (5/7) and it marked the first time in nearly two years that the Spartans tallied 20 hits (North Florida, 22 hits, L, 16-21, DH Game 1).
• Blake Green became just the ninth Spartan in program history to tally 200 or more career hits with his RBI single in the top of the sixth at Virginia Tech on May 4th.
• Scott DeCecco carried a no-hitter into the fifth and tied a career-high with 8.1 innings pitched at The Citadel on Apr. 23... DeCecco tossed 125 pitches allowing just two runs on seven hits to pick up his fourth win of 2011... Jake Waller recorded the final two outs against the Bulldogs and earned his first career save.
• Christian Faust tallied a career-high three hits against The Citadel on Apr. 23 (DH Game 1)... Blake Green and Gaither Bumgardner also picked up three hits in the game to help lead the Spartans to the 6-2 win.
• Luke Weber drove in what proved to be the game-winning run with his double off of the wall in left in the top of the ninth inning at Lipscomb (DH Gm 2)... Austin Liput scored on Weber's RBI double, giving the Spartans the 4-3 win.
• David Roseboom picked up his first career win on Saturday at Lipscomb... The lefty pitched the final four innings as he recorded a pair of strikeouts and scattered three hits and a walk during his relief appearance.
• Luke Weber belted a two-run homer, his third of 2011, over the left field wall on Apr. 13 at Charlotte...Blake Green finished 3-for-5 against the 49ers, while Branden Millhouse collected two hits and two RBI.
• Trey Richardson delivered the first walk-off homerun in the D-I era on Apr. 9 vs. Belmont (DH Game 1)... Richardson sent a 1-2 pitch from Bruin reliever Garrett Fanchier over the wall in left field in the bottom of the 10th to lift Upstate to the 6-5 win.