Baseball Set for Weekend Series at Kennesaw State
SPARTANBURG, S.C. – It has been nearly three weeks since the Spartans took the field against an A-Sun foe, but beginning Friday night at Kennesaw State, the USC Upstate baseball team will begin a two-week stretch in which they play a total of 11 games, nine of those against conference foes.
Following Friday's 6:00 p.m. game, the Spartans and Owls will take the field on Saturday for a doubleheader beginning at 1:00 p.m.
• Blake Green became just the ninth Spartan in program history to tally 200 or more career hits with his RBI single in the top of the sixth at Virginia Tech on Wednesday night.
• Scott DeCecco carried a no-hitter into the fifth and tied a career-high with 8.1 innings pitched at The Citadel on Apr. 23... DeCecco tossed 125 pitches allowing just two runs on seven hits to pick up his fourth win of 2011... Jake Waller recorded the final two outs against the Bulldogs and earned his first career save.
• Christian Faust tallied a career-high three hits against The Citadel on Apr. 23 (DH Game 1)... Blake Green and Gaither Bumgardner also picked up three hits in the game to help lead the Spartans to the 6-2 win.
• Luke Weber drove in what proved to be the game-winning run with his double off of the wall in left in the top of the ninth inning at Lipscomb (DH Gm 2)... Austin Liput scored on Weber's RBI double, giving the Spartans the 4-3 win.
• David Roseboom picked up his first career win on Saturday at Lipscomb... The lefty pitched the final four innings as he recorded a pair of strikeouts and scattered three hits and a walk during his relief appearance.
• Luke Weber belted a two-run homer, his third of 2011, over the left field wall on Apr. 13 at Charlotte...Blake Green finished 3-for-5 against the 49ers, while Branden Millhouse collected two hits and two RBI.
• Dillon Way was a perfect 3-for-3 at the plate on Apr. 12 vs. ETSU... The junior also drew a walk and scored a run.
• Trey Richardson delivered the first walk-off homerun in the D-I era on Apr. 9 vs. Belmont (DH Game 1)... Richardson sent a 1-2 pitch from Bruin reliever Garrett Fanchier over the wall in left field in the bottom of the 10th to lift Upstate to the 6-5 win.
• Spartan reliever Chris Knauff picked up his third win of the season after pitching the final four frames against Belmont on Apr. 9... Knauff allowed two runs on two hits and walked one to improve to 3-1.