Spartans, Bulldogs Set for Two-Game Non-Conference Series
SPARTANBURG, S.C. – The USC Upstate baseball team will look to snap a three-game skid as they travel to Charleston, S.C., for its final games before breaking for exam week. The Spartans will begin the two-game series at The Citadel on Friday afternoon at 4:00 p.m.
Following Friday's contest the Spartans and Bulldogs will battle on Saturday at 2:00 p.m. The Citadel claimed both meetings a season ago, but Upstate owns the all-time series lead 4-3.
The Spartans and Bulldogs will meet again on May 11, with the game taking place in Greenville, S.C., at Fluor Field.
• Blake Green has posted back-to-back three hit performances and owns 21 multiple hits games on the season.
• Luke Weber drove in what proved to be the game-winning run with his double off of the wall in left in the top of the ninth inning on Saturday... Austin Liput scored on Weber's RBI double, giving the Spartans the 4-3 win.
• David Roseboom picked up his first career win on Saturday at Lipscomb... The lefty pitched the final four innings as he recorded a pair of strikeouts and scattered three hits and a walk during his relief appearance.
• Luke Weber belted a two-run homer, his third of 2011, over the left field wall on Apr. 13 at Charlotte...Blake Green finished 3-for-5 against the 49ers, while Branden Millhouse collected two hits and two RBI.
• Dillon Way was a perfect 3-for-3 at the plate on Apr. 12 vs. ETSU... The junior also drew a walk and scored a run.
• Trey Richardson delivered the first walk-off homerun in the D-I era on Apr. 9 vs. Belmont (DH Game 1)... Richardson sent a 1-2 pitch from Bruin reliever Garrett Fanchier over the wall in left field in the bottom of the 10th to lift Upstate to the 6-5 win.
• Spartan reliever Chris Knauff picked up his third win of the season after pitching the final four frames against Belmont on Apr. 9... Knauff allowed two runs on two hits and walked one to improve to 3-1.
• Anthony Vacca belted his first career homer on April 6.. On a 2-1 count, the Spartan rookie sent GWU starter Erik Hellingstadt's pitch over the wall in right field to tie the game at 2-2 in the bottom of the 2nd inning.
• Upstate picked up its first ever win over a nationally-ranked opponent (D-I era) with a 6-0 shutout of No. 20 Stetson on April 1.
• Spartan starter Scott DeCecco pitched seven innings vs. Stetson (Apr. 1) scattering six hits and three walks over the course of his 117-pitch outing... DeCecco, who struck four Hatter batters, was honored as the Atlantic Sun's Pitcher of the Week.