Spartans Set for Home Contests with Wofford and Charlotte
SPARTANBURG, S.C. – After picking up a 2-1 series win at Florida Gulf Coast over the weekend, the USC Upstate baseball team will return to action on Tuesday evening when they host cross-town rival Wofford at 6:00 p.m.
Upstate's game against Wofford will begin a stretch in which the Spartans will play 10 of 11 at the friendly confines of Harley Park. Wofford claimed game one of the season series, 8-7 (11 inn.), on Mar. 1 (at Wofford). The two schools will meet again on May 10 at Harley Park. Following Tuesday's battle against the Terriers, the Spartans will welcome the Charlotte 49ers to Harley Park for a 6:00 p.m. first pitch.
• Blake Green led the Spartan attack at FGCU as he finished with a .615 batting average (8-for-13) while scoring five runs and driving in three. He also earned a trio of free passes via two walks and a hit by pitch.
• Upstate picked up wins in the series opener and finale to claim a 2-1 series victory over FGCU over the weekend... Upstate claimed game one, 12-5, dropped the middle game, 2-12, before claiming the finale, 12-8.
• Upstate split a home and home series last week with Furman... Upstate claimed a 8-5 victory at Harley Park on Tuesday thanks to a six-run sixth inning... Furman evened the season series with a 4-0 win in Greenville, S.C., as they two teams combined for just eight hits in a game that took just 1:58.
• Against Furman, sophomore Chris Knauff recorded the longest outing of his career as he pitched four complete innings allowing just one hit while fanning three en route to his second victory of the season.
• Gaither Bumgardner became the first Spartan since Matt Branham (Mar. 17, 2007) to toss a complete game shutout... Bumgardner fanned a career-best nine batters en route to his first career victory on Saturday afternoon vs. North Florida.
• Blake Green owns a batting average of .458 in the month of March and has scored 23 runs while driving in 11... He was 6-for-8 with three runs and two RBI in the doubleheader vs. North Florida (Mar. 19).
• Austin Liput led the Spartans against Charleston Southern on Mar. 16... Against the Bucs, the junior had four hits including his first homer of the season... He finished with three RBI and scored twice... Dillon Way also had a solid day against CSU as he had three hits and four RBI, including a bases clearing double in the top of the first inning.
• Bobby Rednour made his collegiate debut on Mar. 16 vs. Charleston Southern and the rookie pitched a perfect ninth inning, using just seven pitches to record three outs.
• At Charleston Southern and at Jacksonville (DH Game 1), Luke Weber had three hits at the plate with three runs batted in... Two of Weber's three hits at JU were doubles and he scored what proved to be the game winning run in Upstate's 7-6 win.
• Ryan Fern pcked up a pair of wins in relief during the week of Mar. 7-13... He pitched the final two innings in Spartan victories at Charleston Southern (Mar. 9) and Jacksonville (Mar. 12).
• At Charleston Southern (Mar. 9), Luke Weber and Austin Liput each collected three hits... Liput scored two runs while Weber drove in three and scored one... Every Spartan collected a hit against the Bucs.