Spartans, Paladins Set for Pair of Midweek Clashes
SPARTANBURG, S.C. – USC Upstate will wrap up a five-game homestand on Tuesday night when they entertain the Furman Paladins at 6:00 p.m. The Spartans will then travel to Greenville, S.C., on Wednesday night for a 6:00 p.m. first pitch at Furman.
Upstate leads the all-time series 4-2, including a 2-0 mark in Greenville, however the two mid-week contests will be the first meetings between the two schools since Upstate made the move to Division I at the beginning of the 2007-08 academic year.
• Gaither Bumgardner became the first Spartan since Matt Branham (Mar. 17, 2007) to toss a complete game shutout... Bumgardner fanned a career-best nine batters en route to his first career victory on Saturday afternoon vs. North Florida.
• Blake Green owns a batting average of .471 in the month of March and has scored 18 runs while driving in eight... He was 6-for-8 with three runs and two RBI in the doubleheader vs. North Florida (Mar. 19).
• Austin Liput led the Spartans against Charleston Southern on Mar. 16... Against the Bucs, the junior had four hits including his first homer of the season... He finished with three RBI and scored twice... Dillon Way also had a solid day against CSU as he had three hits and four RBI, including a bases clearing double in the top of the first inning.
• Bobby Rednour made his collegiate debut on Mar. 16 vs. Charleston Southern and the rookie pitched a perfect ninth inning, using just seven pitches to record three outs.
• At Charleston Southern and at Jacksonville (DH Game 1), Luke Weber had three hits at the plate with three runs batted in... Two of Weber's three hits at JU were doubles and he scored what proved to be the game winning run in Upstate's 7-6 win.
• Ryan Fern pcked up a pair of wins in relief last week... He pitched the final two innings in Spartan victories at Charleston Southern (Mar. 9) and Jacksonville (Mar. 12).
• At Charleston Southern (Mar. 9), Luke Weber and Austin Liput each collected three hits... Liput scored two runs while Weber drove in three and scored one... Every Spartan collected a hit against the Bucs.
• Southpaw Scott DeCecco recorded his second straight quality start against ETSU (Mar. 4)... DeCecco pitched six complete innings, allowing just one run while scattering five hits and striking out six... He also got out of a pair of bases loaded jams.
• Blake Green and Tyler Cook each collected two hits against ETSU and Green also scored a pair of runs against the Bucs on Mar. 4.
• Grason Wiggins had three hits, one run and one RBI at Gardner-Webb (Mar. 2)... Gaither Bumgardner, Tyler Cook and Trey Richardson each had two hits and the trio combined to total four RBI and two runs.
• At Wofford (Mar. 1), leadoff man Blake Green collected four hits and scored a pair of runs... Luke Weber also had a solid day at the plate as the freshman tallied three hits and drove in two.