Spartans to Host Hokies, Aggies during Midweek
SPARTANBURG, S.C. – USC Upstate will host a pair of games during the midweek as the Spartans play their first eight games at the friendly confines of Harley Park.
Upstate will host Virginia Tech on Tuesday, followed by game on Wednesday afternoon against North Carolina A&T. First pitch in both games is slated for 4:00 p.m.
The Spartans (2-1) downed George Mason in the season opener, 16-4 and defeated Iona, 9-5, on Sunday afternoon. Upstate fell on Saturday to Xavier by a score of 8-6.
• Scott DeCecco was the opening day starter and the sophomore didn't disappoint... The southpaw struck out six Patriot batters while allowing just two runs as he pitched five complete innings, earning his first victory of 2011.
• Ryan Newell pitched the final four innings against George Mason and was credited with a save after giving up just three hits and two runs.
• Philip Brannon picked up his first win of 2011 as the Spartans downed Iona on Sunday... Brannon scattered five hits and allowed zero runs in the 9-5 win.
• Tyler Miller had a strong start to the season as the sophomore finished 7-for-12 (.583), four runs, three RBI... He was a perfect 4-for-4 at the plate against Iona...
• Against George Mason, the Spartans did something they hadn't done since the '09 campaign, score eight runs in an inning... Upstate chased George Mason starter Chris O'Grady as the sophomore allowed eight runs (six earned) on eight hits in just 2/3 of an inning... Upstate totaled 16 runs on 17 hits and batters 4-9 accounted for 14 of the 17 Spartan hits.... The last time Upstate scored eight runs in a single inning was on May 5, 2009 against Wofford (Harley Park, W, 13-2).
The Scouting Report – Virginia Tech / North Carolina A&T
• Virginia Tech went 2-1 during opening weekend at the Caravelle Resort Tournament (Conway, S.C)... The Hokies picked up wins over Indiana and Tennessee Tech, before dropping Sunday's contest to host Coastal Carolina... They were led by Michael Seaborn (.455 BA, 6 runs, 2 RBI) and Chad Morgan (.444, 2 runs, 2 RBI).
• NC A&T claimed victory in its season opener against A-Sun member Campbell... However the Aggies dropped the final three games of the series and sit 1-3 on the young season... Marquis Riley totaled 10 hits against the Camels (16 ABs, .625 BA) while scoring six runs and driving in five... Xavier Macklin leads the team in RBI (7) while ranking second in both BA (.429) and runs (5).