Radford, Va. – Mackenzie Lauer and Lauren Phillips each set new career-highs in kills on Friday evening as the USC Upstate volleyball team concluded its regular season with a 3-1 loss to the Radford Highlanders from the Dedmon Center.
USC Upstate fell to 13-18 overall and 8-8 in the Big South while Radford improves to 20-4 overall and 12-3 in conference play.
The Highlanders won the match by scores of 25-20, 25-27, 25-13 and 36-34.
STATS OF THE MATCH
- Lauer and Emily Russell led the Spartans offensively with 16 and 15 kills, respectively. Russell hit a team-high .389 while Lauer added a .306 hitting percentage.
- The 15 kills compiled by Lauer are a career-high during her time at USC Upstate.
- Madison Haake recorded her 18th double-double of the season, and 66th of her career, on 40 assists and 15 digs.
- Phillips tallied her first career double-double with a career-high 10 kills and 13 digs.
- Mikenzie Young-Mullins added 13 digs to go with eight kills.
- Haley Kleespies and Valerie Gonzalez each had double-doubles for Radford as Kleespies posted 51 assists and 10 digs while Gonzalez finished with 14 kills and 15 digs.
- Mallory McKnight led the Highlanders with 16 kills and Grace Green totaled 18 digs.
- The Spartans held a 12.0-8.0 advantage in total team blocks.
- USC Upstate hit .180 as a team highlighted by a .250 percentage in the fourth set.
- The match featured 41 ties and 22 lead changes.
- Set One: The Highlanders scored the opening four points before the Spartans used a 12-8 run to even the score at 12-12 on a kill from Lauer. The score would be tied six times over the next several plays before Radford went ahead 21-19. USC Upstate led three times during that stretch with the last coming at 18-17 on a kill by Russell. The Highlanders scored the final four points to win 25-20.
- Set Two: Gloria Ikenegbu gave the Spartans an early 10-8 lead to begin the second set with her kill. Phillips later served up an ace and kept USC Upstate ahead by two points at 13-11. Radford followed with a 12-4 run and led 23-17 late. The Spartans fought back with a 7-1 run and, facing set point, reeled off two straight points to tie the score at 24-24 off a bad set. USC Upstate outscored the Highlanders 3-1 after that for the 27-25 victory.
- Set Three: Radford jumped out to an early eight-point lead following a 9-1 run to begin the frame. The Spartans would get as close as five points three times with the last coming at 12-7 on Ikenegbu's kill. USC Upstate was held to six points after that as the Highlanders would go on to win the set 25-13 after a kill.
- Set Four: Russell put the Spartans in front 5-4 to start the fourth set after connecting on a kill. Radford responded with an 8-5 run to hold a 12-10 advantage. Russell and Lauer capped a 6-2 run for USC Upstate as their combination block put the score at 16-14. The Spartans led by at least two points over the next 16 plays as Russell's kill put them at set point leading 24-22. The Highlanders tied the score two plays later. The teams traded the proceeding 21 points as Lauer tied the score at 34-34 after her kill. Radford picked up the last two points for the 36-34 triumph and 3-1 match victory.
- The 2018 Big South Volleyball Championship will be held next weekend, Nov. 16-18, in Asheville, N.C.
Follow USC Upstate volleyball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateVB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).