Asheville, N.C. – Madison Haake and Lily Dempsey each collected double-doubles on Tuesday evening as the USC Upstate volleyball team fell to the UNC Asheville Bulldogs, 3-1, in Big South action at the Justice Center.
USC Upstate falls to 13-17 overall and 8-7 in the Big South while UNC Asheville improves to 14-11 on the season and 9-6 in conference play.
The Bulldogs won the match by scores of 25-22, 26-24, 17-25 and 25-15.
STATS OF THE MATCH
- The Spartans held a 57-53 advantage over UNC Asheville in kills, 53-52 in assists and 85-76 in digs.
- USC Upstate also led 9.0-7.0 in total team blocks.
- The Spartans hit a match-high .220 in the first set and followed with a .208 mark in the third.
- Haake registered her 17th double-double of the season, and 65th of her career, after finishing with 41 assists and 16 digs.
- Dempsey added her fifth double-double of the year on a team-high 18 kills to go with 12 digs.
- Emily Russell hit .323 in the match and contributed 12 kills.
- Payton Duncan tied for a match-high with 21 digs while Mikenzie Young-Mullins tallied 10.
- Cara Guthrie, Ansley Rooks, Julia Borges and Grace Volk all had double-doubles for UNC Asheville.
- Guthrie led all players with 25 kills while Volk dished out 46 assists and Madisen Zyburt recorded 21 digs.
- The match featured 30 ties and 13 lead changes.
- Set One: USC Upstate recorded 12 of the first 18 points to start the match and led 12-6 off a kill from Haake. The Bulldogs cut the lead down to four points twice with the last coming at 14-10. The Spartans extended their lead back to 19-14 a few plays later on a kill by Dempsey. Mackenzie Lauer gave USC Upstate a 22-18 lead late with her kill. UNC Asheville finished the set on a 7-0 run to win 25-22.
- Set Two: The teams traded the first 22 points before Dempsey put the Spartans in front 12-11 after her kill. Dempsey and Gloria Ikenegbu then teamed up for a combination block to give USC Upstate the lead back at 17-16. After the Bulldogs tied the score at 20-20, Russell connected on a kill and UNC Asheville committed an attack error to put the Spartans ahead 22-20. Young-Mullins then put USC Upstate at set point, 24-23, with her kill. The Bulldogs scored the last three points for the 26-24 victory.
- Set Three: A UNC Asheville attack error gave the Spartans an early 8-5 lead, forcing the Bulldogs into a timeout. Dempsey's kill then extended USC Upstate's advantage to 12-8. The Bulldogs then used an 8-4 run to even the score at 16-16 midway. The Spartans broke the set open courtesy of a 9-1 run to close out the set as Duncan's service ace gave them the 25-17 win and cut their deficit down to 2-1.
- Set Four: Haake tied the score early at 3-3 with her kill. UNC Asheville would then go on a 13-2 run and took a 16-5 lead. The Bulldogs led by as many as 13 points late holding a 24-11 advantage. Dempsey connected on back-to-back kills to trim USC Upstate's deficit down to 24-15. UNC Asheville won the set, and match, on the following play.
- The Spartans conclude their regular season on Friday evening at 6 p.m. on the road against Radford.
Follow USC Upstate volleyball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateVB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).