Spartanburg, S.C. – USC Upstate junior middle blocker Gloria Ikenegbu turned in a career evening on Friday setting a new career-high in kills as the Spartan volleyball team held off the Campbell Camels with an exciting 3-2 victory in Big South action from the Eddie and Ann Payne Arena inside the G.B. Hodge Center.
USC Upstate improves to 12-16 overall and 7-6 in the Big South while Campbell falls to 8-15 on the season and 6-7 in conference play.
The Spartans won the match by scores of 23-25, 30-28, 25-21, 21-25 and 15-13.
STATS OF THE MATCH
- Ikenegbu finished the match with a career-high 21 kills and added seven total blocks (three solo, four assisted) while hitting a match-high .357.
- Madison Haake collected her 16th double-double of the season, and 64th of her career, with 50 assists and 17 digs. Haake just missed on her first triple-double of the year after contributing eight kills.
- Lily Dempsey recorded her fourth double-double this season tallying 11 kills and 10 digs.
- Emily Russell added 14 kills and five assisted blocks.
- Haake and Dempsey were two of five players to finish with double-digit digs including Payton Duncan (15), Morgan Deaville (12) and Mikenzie Young-Mullins (11).
- Sarah Colla, Madee Miner, Allena Heath and Jessica Stocking all had double-doubles for the Camels.
- Grace Kane led all players with 19 digs.
- USC Upstate hit a match-high .314 in the second set and compiled a .218 hitting percentage overall.
- The Spartans held a 12.0-10.0 advantage in total team blocks. USC Upstate posted its 12th match this season with 10 or more team blocks.
- The Spartans also led 70-69 in kills.
- The match featured 38 ties and 14 lead changes.
- Set One: USC Upstate opened on an 8-4 run before taking a 10-5 lead off a combination block from Haake and Ikenegbu. Dempsey later kept the Spartans ahead by five at 15-10 with her kill. Campbell followed with a 10-4 run and led 20-19 late. Ikenegbu then tied the score at 21-21 following her kill. The Camels finished by scoring four of the last six points to win 25-23.
- Set Two: USC Upstate started with a 9-4 run in the second set capped by a kill from McKenna Kirkpatrick. Dempsey gave the Spartans their largest lead of the set at 15-9 midway with her kill. Campbell would tie the score at 20-20 courtesy of an 11-5 run. The score was tied eight more times after that with the last coming at 28-28. Dempsey's kill and a bad set by the Camels gave USC Upstate the 30-28 victory.
- Set Three: The Camels scored the first three points before the Spartans registered four of the next five and evened the score at 4-4 off an attack error. Neither team led by more than two points for a majority of the set with USC Upstate holding a 20-18 lead late off Haake's kill. The Spartans then ran off three of the next four points to take a 23-19 lead following a bad set. Back-to-back errors by Campbell secured the 25-21 win for USC Upstate.
- Set Four: The Camels went on a 5-0 run to begin and led 10-5 a few plays later. The Spartans answered with a 7-1 run and led 12-11 after a kill from Russell. Campbell would go a 6-1 run afterwards and led 17-13 forcing USC Upstate into a timeout. The Camels later went in front 23-18 and scored the final two points for the 25-21 triumph.
- Set Five: The teams traded the first 12 points before Dempsey put the Spartans ahead 7-6 with her kill. With the score tied at 9-9, Ikenegbu reeled off four straight points for USC Upstate to give it 13-9 lead after her kill. Campbell got as close as one point twice with the last coming at 14-13. Dempsey won the set, and match, for the Spartans on the next play.
- USC Upstate plays its final home match of the season Saturday afternoon hosting Hampton at 5 p.m. on Senior Day.
Follow USC Upstate volleyball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateVB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).