Spartanburg, S.C. – The USC Upstate volleyball team hit a season-high .347 on Tuesday evening, led by 11 kills from Lily Dempsey and Madison Haake's double-double, to win its third straight match in a 3-0 victory over the Limestone Saints at Eddie and Ann Payne Arena in the G.B. Hodge Center.
USC Upstate improves to 10-15 on the season while Limestone drops to 11-10 overall.
The Spartans won the match by scores of 25-10, 25-11 and 25-18.
STATS OF THE MATCH
- USC Upstate posted a team hitting percentage over .300 for the second time this season after committing just nine attack errors in 75 attempts.
- The Spartans held an opponent to a negative hitting percentage for the first time this season as the Saints finished at -.060 for the match.
- USC Upstate led 35-22 in kills, 34-22 in assists and 39-29 in digs.
- The Spartans also held an 11.0-3.0 advantage in total team blocks.
- Dempsey posted double-digit kills for the fifth consecutive match after leading all players with 11 and hit .474 for the match.
- Haake collected her 14th double-double this season, and 62nd of her career, on 25 assists and 11 digs.
- Payton Duncan contributed a match-high 12 digs.
- Gloria Ikenegbu logged eight total blocks consisting of two solo and six assisted.
- Madyson Lousignot led Limestone offensively with seven kills while Mia Bergan had 20 assists and Erin Kennedy 10 digs.
- The match featured 12 ties and five lead changes.
- Set One: USC Upstate opened the set scoring 12 of the first 13 points and took a 12-1 lead after a Saints attack error. The Spartans recorded eight straight points during that stretch including a pair of combination blocks from Ikenegbu and Dempsey. USC Upstate later pushed its lead out to 18-4 on another Limestone attack error. The Spartans led by as many as 15 points three times during the set with the last coming when Ikenegbu's solo block won the set at 25-10.
- Set Two: USC Upstate started out on a 13-4 run and held a nine-point advantage early on a kill by Mikenzie Young-Mullins. Emily Russell put the Spartans ahead by double-digits a few plays later at 15-5 with her kill. USC Upstate led by double-figures for all but one play the remainder of the set. The Spartans recorded five of the last seven points to win 25-11 on a Saints service error.
- Set Three: The teams traded the first 16 points of the set before Limestone jumped out to a 12-10 lead on a service ace. USC Upstate came back with three of the following four points to even the score at 13-13 off Ikenegbu's kill. The kill sparked a 10-3 run for the Spartans and led 23-16 after Haake's kill. Callie Yeargin's first service ace of the season gave USC Upstate the 25-18 set win and 3-0 match victory.
- The Spartans step back into Big South play this weekend, Oct. 26-27, at Gardner-Webb and Winthrop.
Follow USC Upstate volleyball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateVB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).