Spartanburg, S.C. – The USC Upstate volleyball team had three players record 10 or more kills, while Madison Haake added a double-double, as the Spartans picked up their second straight Big South victory on Saturday evening with a 3-1 win over the Charleston Southern Buccaneers from the Eddie and Ann Payne Arena inside the G.B. Hodge Center.
USC Upstate improves to 9-15 overall and 5-5 in the Big South while Charleston Southern falls to 9-8 on the season and 4-5 in conference play.
STATS OF THE MATCH
- The Spartans held a .152-.130 advantage over the Buccaneers in hitting percentage.
- USC Upstate forced Charleston Southern into 29 attack errors.
- The Spartans also led 14.0-9.0 in total team blocks.
- Gloria Ikenegbu and Emily Russell had a team-high 12 kills to lead USC Upstate offensively.
- Russell finished the match with five solo blocks.
- Lily Dempsey added 11 kills.
- Haake recorded her 13th double-double of the season, and 61st of her career, after contributing 32 assists and 15 digs.
- Haake was one of four Spartans to collect double-digit digs along with Mikenzie Young-Mullins (19), Payton Duncan (14) and Morgan Deaville (10).
- Addison Kaderli had a team-high 13 kills for the Buccaneers.
- Naiomi Rivera and Ashleigh Holweger combined for 43 assists while Madison Martin tallied a game-high 34 digs.
- The match featured 31 ties and 14 lead changes.
- Set One: The opening 16 points saw the score tied six times as USC Upstate made it 8-8 on a kill by Russell. The Spartans then followed with seven straight points and increased their lead out to 15-8 after a Charleston Southern attack error. The Buccaneers would get as close as four at 16-12. USC Upstate answered by scoring five of the next seven points to go ahead 21-14 off Ikenegbu's kill. The Spartans scored the last three points, capped by a service ace from Young-Mullins, to win the set 25-18.
- Set Two: The second set included 16 ties and seven lead changes. A total of seven ties came within the initial 28 points as Deaville evened the score at 14-14 with her service ace. USC Upstate led by as many as three points, 11-8, during that stretch on a solo block from Ikenegbu. The Spartans took a 17-15 lead late but Charleston Southern came back to go in front 21-20. USC Upstate responded with the next three points to take the lead back at 23-21. The score would be tied four more times with the last coming at 26-26. Two straight CSU errors gave the Spartans a 28-26 victory.
- Set Three: USC Upstate held an early 8-6 lead to open the frame after a ball handling error by the Buccaneers. Charleston Southern broke the set open courtesy of an 11-2 run and held a 17-10 lead. The Buccaneers closed on a 7-2 run for the 25-14 win.
- Set Four: The Spartans began the set on an 11-5 run and took a six-point lead following a solo block from Russell. USC Upstate increased its lead midway when, holding a 16-10 advantage, went on a 6-1 run and led 22-11 on a solo block from Dempsey. The Spartans had their largest lead of 11 points at 24-13 when Russell connected on a kill. Haake won the set for USC Upstate at 25-15 with her kill and gave it the 3-1 match victory.
- The Spartans play their final non-conference match of the season on Tuesday, Oct. 23 when they host Limestone at 6 p.m.
Follow USC Upstate volleyball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateVB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).