Clinton, S.C. – Gloria Ikenegbu and Emily Russell both set new career-highs in kills on Tuesday evening as the USC Upstate volleyball team earned a 3-2 win in conference play over the Presbyterian College Blue Hose at the Templeton Center.
USC Upstate improves to 8-15 overall and 4-5 in the Big South while Presbyterian College falls to 7-12 on the season and 4-4 in conference play.
The Spartans won the match by scores of 22-25, 25-17, 25-16, 21-25 and 15-10.
STATS OF THE MATCH
- USC Upstate held a .290-.198 advantage over the Blue Hose in hitting percentage and led 11.0-6.0 in total team blocks.
- The Spartans hit a match-high .433 in the second set recording 14 kills on just one attack error. USC Upstate also hit .355 in the third set and .350 in the fifth.
- USC Upstate led 82-64 in digs.
- Ikenegbu and Russell both finished with a new career-high in kills as Ikenegbu had a match-high 18 while Russell added 17. Ikenegbu also tied her season-high of seven blocks.
- Lily Dempsey tallied 13 kills and five assisted blocks.
- Madison Haake collected her 12th double-double of the season, and 60th of her career, on a season-best 50 assists and 13 digs.
- The Spartans had five players, along with Haake, record double-digit digs in the match. Mikenzie Young-Mullins had a team-high 18 digs while Morgan Deaville and Payton Duncan had 14 apiece and Lauren Phillips added 12.
- Erin Cooke and Erin Eulitz both had double-doubles for Presbyterian College as Cooke finished with 30 assists and 15 kills while Eulitz posted 11 kills and 17 digs.
- Cooke and Sierra Jones combined for 56 assists and Taylor Farmer led all players with 20 digs.
- Set One: The teams exchanged the first 10 points before the Blue Hose went on an 11-4 run to go ahead 16-9. Presbyterian College led by as many as eight, 22-14, on a USC Upstate attack error. The Spartans made a late rally courtesy of a 7-1 run and trailed 23-21 on a kill by Young-Mullins. Russell kept USC Upstate within two at 24-22 with her kill. The Blue Hose won the set on the following play.
- Set Two: The Spartans opened on a 10-5 run and went in front by five points off a kill from Russell. Presbyterian College got as close as one, 14-13, midway after an 8-4 run. USC Upstate responded with a 7-2 run and held a 21-15 advantage on a combination block by Young-Mullins and Russell. The Spartans recorded the final three points, capped by Dempsey's kill, to win 25-17.
- Set Three: USC Upstate scored the first seven points and started on a 9-1 run taking an eight-point lead on Dempsey's kill. The Blue Hose got as close as five points several times throughout the set with the last coming at 20-15. The Spartans closed the set out on a 5-1 run. Russell connected on back-to-back kills to give USC Upstate the 25-16 victory.
- Set Four: The Spartans picked up eight of the first 12 points and led 8-4 after two straight Presbyterian College attack errors. The Blue Hose came back with an 8-3 run and took a 12-11 lead. The score would be tied five times midway with Ikenegbu's kill making it 16-16. The Blue Hose collected four of the next five points to lead 21-17. A kill by Young-Mullins put USC Upstate down 23-21 late. Presbyterian College scored the last two points to win 25-21.
- Set Five: The Spartans compiled seven of the initial nine points and began on a 10-3 run capped by Dempsey's kill. Dempsey kept USC Upstate ahead by seven points at 13-6 following her kill. The Blue Hose got as close as 14-10 off a kill. McKenna Kirkpatrick won the set for the Spartans on the next play, giving them the 15-10 victory and 3-2 match win.
- USC Upstate returns to the G.B. Hodge Center on Saturday, Oct. 20 to host Charleston Southern in conference action at 5 p.m.
Follow USC Upstate volleyball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateVB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).