Spartanburg, S.C. – Madison Haake recorded a double-double, while Emily Russell and Gloria Ikenegbu both had double-digit kills, as the USC Upstate volleyball team posted a 3-0 sweep of the Gardner-Webb Runnin' Bulldogs in Big South action Saturday evening inside the G.B. Hodge Center.
USC Upstate improves to 6-14 overall and 2-4 in the Big South while Gardner-Webb falls to 6-13 on the season and 0-6 in conference play.
The Spartans won the match by scores of 25-21, 31-29 and 25-18.
STATS OF THE MATCH
- USC Upstate limited the Runnin' Bulldogs to a .062 hitting percentage in the match as Gardner-Webb also committed 29 attack errors.
- The Spartans hit a match-high .244 in the third set.
- USC Upstate held a 36-34 advantage in assists and 13.0-8.0 in total team blocks.
- Both teams finished with 37 kills.
- Haake registered her 10th double-double this season, and 58th of her career, after tallying 32 assists and 11 digs.
- Russell and Ikenegbu led the Spartans offensively with 11 and 10 kills, respectively.
- Russell added eight total blocks consisting of three solo and five assisted.
- Payton Duncan contributed a team-high 16 digs.
- Amanda Sahm and Nichole Ford both had double-doubles for Gardner-Webb. Sahm had a team-best 33 assists and Ford 13 kills.
- Charissa Coleman added 15 digs.
- The match featured 31 ties and 13 lead changes.
- Set One: USC Upstate scored six of the first nine points and held a 6-3 lead off a kill from McKenna Kirkpatrick. The Runnin' Bulldogs later tied the score at 10-10 after going on a 7-4 run. The score would be tied six more times after that before a solo block from Russell put the Spartans ahead 22-19. USC Upstate recorded three of the final five points to win 25-21.
- Set Two: The second set featured 23 ties and eight lead changes. The teams exchanged the first 18 points before Gardner-Webb scored four straight to lead 13-9 on a Spartan attack error. USC Upstate came back with a 5-1 run to even the score at 14-14 on Morgan Deaville's service ace. The score sat tied seven more times before Deaville's service ace and a kill by Mikenzie Young-Mullins gave the Spartans a 24-22 lead. The Runnin' Bulldogs recorded the next three points to sit at set point leading 25-24. The teams traded the following nine points and were tied at 29-29. Gardner-Webb committed back-to-back errors to give USC Upstate the 31-29 triumph.
- Set Three: The Spartans opened on a 7-3 run and led by four on a solo block from Kirkpatrick. USC Upstate broke the set open courtesy of a 9-5 run and went ahead 16-8 on Haake's kill. The Spartans took their largest lead of the set at 20-11 on an attack error. The Runnin' Bulldogs made a late charge and got to within five, 22-17, on a kill. USC Upstate scored three of the final four points, capped by Russell's kill, to win the set 25-18 and capture the match 3-0.
- The Spartans remain in Big South play on Tuesday hosting UNC Asheville at 6 p.m.
Follow USC Upstate volleyball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateVB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).