Buies Creek, N.C. – Lily Dempsey and Madison Haake both had double-doubles, while three players recorded double-digit kills, as the USC Upstate volleyball team fell to the Campbell Camels 3-1 on Saturday afternoon at Gore Arena.
USC Upstate falls to 5-13 on the season and 1-3 in league play while Campbell improves to 5-9 overall and 3-1 in the conference.
The Camels won the match by scores of 28-26, 21-25, 25-19 and 25-19.
STATS OF THE MATCH
- Dempsey and Haake each had double-doubles to lead the Spartans. Dempsey finished with a team-high 14 kills and 11 digs while Haake contributed 40 assists and 14 digs.
- Emily Russell and McKenna Kirkpatrick both collected 10 kills.
- Mikenzie Young-Mullins set a new career-high with 26 digs to lead USC Upstate defensively.
- The Spartans had five players finish with 10 or more digs along with Lauren Phillips (12) and Payton Duncan (11).
- Madee Miner, Sarah Colla and Anna Grace Holdford all had double-doubles for Campbell.
- Allena Heath had a team-high 14 kills.
- USC Upstate hit a match-high .268 during the second set.
- The match featured 27 ties and 10 lead changes.
- Set One: The set had a total of 16 ties with neither team leading by more than four points to start. After the Camels scored the first four points, the Spartans recorded the next four to tie the score at 4-4 on a kill by Kirkpatrick. The score would be tied five more times until a Campbell attack error gave USC Upstate a 12-11 lead. Young-Mullins later gave the Spartans an 18-17 lead with her kill. Dempsey put the Spartans at set point, 24-21, following her kill. The Camels came back with a 7-2 run to win the set 28-26.
- Set Two: A Campbell attack error put USC Upstate ahead 7-4 early. Russell kept the Spartans ahead 8-6 a couple of plays later with her kill. USC Upstate broke the set open courtesy of an 11-3 run and held a 19-9 advantage off Duncan's kill. The Camels attempted a late rally and trailed 22-18 after a Spartan attack error. Campbell got as close as 24-21 on a USC Upstate attack error. Dempsey won the set for the Spartans the following play with her kill.
- Set Three: The teams traded the first 12 points before Dempsey's kill gave USC Upstate a 7-6 lead. A Camel service error later put the Spartans in front 10-9. Campbell answered with an 11-5 run and held a 17-12 lead forcing USC Upstate into a timeout. The Spartans got to within one, 18-17, after a service ace from Morgan Deaville. The Camels closed the set outscoring USC Upstate 7-2 for the 25-19 victory.
- Set Four: Campbell began the set on an 8-3 run and took a five-point lead on a service ace. The Camels would take a 14-7 lead midway on a service ace. The Spartans answered with a 9-4 run and cut their deficit to 18-16 after an attack error. USC Upstate stayed within two points twice with the last coming at 21-19 on Dempsey's kill. Campbell scored the final four points to secure the set 25-19 and win the match 3-1.
- The Spartans return to the G.B. Hodge Center next weekend, Oct. 5-6, to host Winthrop and Gardner-Webb in Big South play.
Follow USC Upstate volleyball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateVB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).