Hampton, Va. – After dropping the opening set, the USC Upstate volleyball team rallied to win three straight and earn its first-ever Big South Conference win on Friday evening with a 3-1 victory over the Hampton Pirates at the Boo Williams Sportsplex.
USC Upstate improves to 5-12 overall and 1-2 in the conference while Hampton falls to 6-8 on the season and 1-3 in league play.
The Spartans won the match by scores of 18-25, 25-17, 25-13, and 25-19.
STATS OF THE MATCH
- USC Upstate limited the Pirates to just .079 hitting in the match.
- The Spartans posted a match-high .310 hitting percentage in the third set.
- USC Upstate held a 46-41 advantage in both kills and assists.
- The Spartans also led 7.0-6.0 in total team blocks.
- Mikenzie Young-Mullins recorded her second double-double of the season to lead USC Upstate offensively with a career-high 12 kills to go with 12 digs.
- Payton Duncan added 10 kills.
- Madison Haake dished out 41 assists while contributing seven digs.
- Emily Russell finished with five assisted blocks.
- Megann Delgado led Hampton with a double-double of 15 kills and 17 digs.
- Lena Reed-Patracek tallied 36 assists.
- The match featured 14 ties and five lead changes.
- Set One: The Spartans took an early 9-7 lead over the Pirates after Young-Mullins connected on a kill. Hampton would then go on an 11-2 run to go ahead 18-11 with a kill. USC Upstate got as close as four, 20-16, on a kill by Lily Dempsey. The Pirates scored five of the last seven points to win 25-18.
- Set Two: All 14 ties and five lead changes in the match came during the second set. The Spartans held an early 7-5 lead off a Hampton attack error but the Pirates later evened the score at 8-8. The score remained tied at 15-15 midway following a USC Upstate service error. The Spartans then broke the set open courtesy of a 10-2 run to close out the frame, winning 25-17 after Hampton committed five straight attack errors. One of the attack errors came off a combination block from Russell and Haake.
- Set Three: USC Upstate jumped out to a seven-point lead after going on an 11-4 run capped by Dempsey's kill. After the Pirates cut the lead down to 12-6, the Spartans would go on an 8-3 run and took a 20-9 lead on a Hampton attack error. USC Upstate received three consecutive kills from Russell, Dempsey and Young-Mullins to give it the 25-13 triumph.
- Set Four: For the second straight set, the Spartans started the frame with a big run scoring 12 of the first 15 points. Young-Mullins put USC Upstate ahead 12-3 with her kill. Hampton responded with a 10-6 run to trim the Spartans lead down to 18-13. USC Upstate then scored three straight to lead 21-13 when Young-Mullins and Russell combined for a block. A Spartan attack error later put the Pirates within four at 22-18. USC Upstate closed out the set recording three of the final four points to capture the frame 25-19 and win the match 3-1.
- The Spartans travel to Buies Creek, N.C. tomorrow afternoon for a 3 p.m. match against the Campbell Camels.
Follow USC Upstate volleyball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateVB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).