Spartanburg, S.C. – USC Upstate head coach Jennifer Calloway became the program's all-time leader in victories on Wednesday evening as the Spartan volleyball team earned a 3-0 sweep of the South Carolina State Bulldogs in non-conference play inside the G.B. Hodge Center.
USC Upstate improves to 4-12 on the season while South Carolina State falls to 0-14 overall.
STATS OF THE MATCH
- Calloway surpasses Dr. Joe Bowman (1978-87, 1995) as the all-time leader in wins for Spartan volleyball with 351.
- Mikenzie Young-Mullins and McKenna Kirkpatrick both led USC Upstate offensively with nine kills.
- Young-Mullins added a team-high 10 digs.
- Madison Haake dished out 29 assists to go with seven digs.
- Alexus Holt finished with seven kills for the Bulldogs while Kyra Marshall added 13 assists and Jessica Beanard 11 digs.
- The Spartans limited South Carolina State to .073 hitting while compiling a team hitting percentage of .267.
- USC Upstate hit .345 in the first set and a match-high .407 in the third.
- The Spartans led 39-23 in kills, 35-20 in assists and 38-28 in digs.
- USC Upstate also held a 7.0-3.0 advantage in total team blocks.
- The match featured nine ties and three lead changes.
- Set One: The Bulldogs opened by scoring four of the first five points but the Spartans followed with a 5-2 run and tied the score at 6-6 on Kirkpatrick's kill. The score remained tied at 11-11 a few plays later off a USC Upstate service error. The Spartans then scored five straight points to lead 16-11 after Kirkpatrick and Lily Dempsey combined for a block. USC Upstate would increase its lead out to 22-13 late off a combination block from Haake and Kirkpatrick. A kill by Young-Mullins gave the Spartans a 25-15 win.
- Set Two: USC Upstate jumped out to an early 10-4 lead after Haake's service ace. The Spartans continued their run midway holding a 16-6 advantage off a kill by Dempsey. South Carolina State made a late rally and cut its deficit down to 20-16. The Bulldogs got as close as 23-21 after a combination block. USC Upstate scored the final two points on kills from Haake and Kirkpatrick for the 25-21 triumph.
- Set Three: The Spartans began the third set in similar fashion as the second with a 12-3 run capped by a South Carolina State attack error. USC Upstate took its largest lead of the set at 17-5 on a kill from Young-Mullins. The Bulldogs answered with an 8-1 run and trimmed the Spartans lead down to 18-13. USC Upstate recorded seven of the last 11 points, finished by Kirkpatrick's kill, to capture the set 25-17 and win the match 3-0.
- The Spartans step back into conference play this weekend, Sept. 28-29, traveling to Hampton and Campbell.
Follow USC Upstate volleyball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateVB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).