Spartanburg, S.C. – Lily Dempsey recorded her second double-double of the season on Saturday evening as the USC Upstate volleyball team continued Big South play with a 3-1 loss to the Radford Highlanders at the G.B. Hodge Center.
USC Upstate falls to 3-12 overall and 0-2 in the conference while Radford improves to 10-1 on the season and 2-0 in league play.
The Highlanders won the match by scores of 25-14, 24-26, 25-20 and 25-22.
STATS OF THE MATCH
- The Spartans hit a match-high .211 in the third set after recording 11 kills with just three errors on 38 attempts.
- USC Upstate finished the match with 51 digs, 41 kills and 36 assists.
- The Spartans held an 11.0-3.0 advantage over Radford in total team blocks.
- Dempsey led USC Upstate with her second double-double this year on 11 kills and 10 digs.
- Dempsey was one of three Spartans, along with Gloria Ikenegbu and Emily Russell, to have four assisted blocks and one solo block.
- Madison Haake dished out 33 assists to go with eight digs.
- Payton Duncan compiled 12 digs and added nine kills.
- Haley Kleespies and Valerie Gonzalez both had double-doubles for the Highlanders. Kleespies had 54 assists and 12 digs while Gonzalez posted 12 kills and 14 digs.
- Mallory McKnight contributed 19 kills and Grace Green 20 digs.
- The match featured 14 ties and three lead changes.
- Set One: Radford opened the set on a 10-0 run and later took a 12-2 lead off a USC Upstate attack error. The Spartans would get as close as eight, 18-10, when Dempsey and Ikenegbu combined for a block. The Highlanders scored seven of the final 11 points to win 25-14 off an attack error.
- Set Two: USC Upstate came back to take the second set 26-24 and tie the match at 1-1. The Spartans trailed 8-7 early when Haake and Russell teamed up for a block. Radford would later go ahead 15-12 on a kill, only to see an attack error tie the score at 16-16 midway. The score sat tied three more times after that with the last coming at 20-20 on a Highlander kill. A solo block from Dempsey put USC Upstate in front 23-21 only to see Radford tie the score again two plays later. After the Highlanders evened the score at 24-24, the Spartans received a kill by Russell and a combination block from Haake and Ikenegbu for the two-point victory.
- Set Three: Radford collected the first eight points and opened the set on a 10-1 run, taking a nine-point lead off a service ace. A combination block gave the Highlanders an early 13-3 lead. USC Upstate fought back and trailed 18-13 following a 10-5 run capped by Ikenegbu's kill. Dempsey kept the Spartans within four, 20-16, with her kill. Radford collected five of the final nine points to earn the 25-20 victory.
- Set Four: USC Upstate started on a 9-4 run with McKenna Kirkpatrick giving it a five-point lead with her kill. Duncan gave the Spartans their largest lead of the set at 14-8 on her service ace. The Highlanders later tied the score at 19-19 courtesy of an 11-5 run. A Radford attack error would keep USC Upstate even at 20-20. After Dempsey's kill put the score at 23-22, the Highlanders registered the last two points for the 25-22 set win and 3-1 match victory.
- The Spartans close out their homestand with a non-conference match on Wednesday, Sept. 26 at 6 p.m. against South Carolina State.
Follow USC Upstate volleyball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateVB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).