Statesboro, Ga. – Lily Dempsey and Madison Haake each had double-doubles on Friday evening as the USC Upstate volleyball team continued play at the GATA Challenge dropping a 3-1 decision to the Georgia Southern Eagles at Hanner Fieldhouse.
USC Upstate falls to 2-10 overall while Georgia Southern improves to 3-9 on the season.
The Eagles won the match by scores of 28-30, 25-15, 25-19 and 25-19.
STATS OF THE MATCH
- The Spartans compiled double-digit blocks for the second time this season after tallying 12.0 in the match. The season-high for blocks during a match is 14.0 versus Elon on Aug. 25 at the Charlotte Invitational.
- For the second straight match, Dempsey equaled her season-high of 13 kills and recorded her first double-double of the season after tying a career-best of 13 digs.
- Haake added her eighth double-double of the season, and 56th of her career, on 33 assists and 13 digs.
- Morgan Deaville contributed 11 digs and Payton Duncan 10.
- Emily Russell set two career-highs defensively for USC Upstate finishing with 11 blocks highlighted by 10 assisted.
- Madison Brown had a double-double for the Eagles on 44 assists and 14 digs.
- Lauren Reichard led Georgia Southern with 16 kills while Joscelin Morrow posted 18 digs.
- The match featured 24 ties and nine lead changes.
- Set One: The first 18 points were split as the Spartans tied the set at 9-9 on Russell's kill. The Eagles led by as many as three, 13-10, but USC Upstate came back to take a 16-15 lead after Duncan connected on a kill. After Georgia Southern gained the lead back at 18-16, the Spartans used a 4-1 run to hold a 20-19 advantage following a combination block by Russell and Dempsey. Neither team led by more than one point over the next 17 plays as the set went into extra points. Russell and Mackenzie Lauer teamed up for back-to-back kills to give USC Upstate the 30-28 victory.
- Set Two: The Spartans recorded five of the first seven points to lead 5-2 off an Eagle attack error. Georgia Southern answered with a 10-2 run to go in front 12-7. USC Upstate followed with four straight points and trailed 12-11 on Duncan's service ace. The Eagles finished the set on a 13-4 run to win 25-15 and tie the match at 1-1.
- Set Three: Georgia Southern scored four of the opening five points and held an early 8-4 lead on a kill. Dempsey cut the deficit down to 9-7 a few plays later with her kill. Lauren Phillips would later keep the Spartans within four, 14-10, following her kill. The Eagles then used a 7-3 run to go in front 21-13. USC Upstate attempted a late comeback and trailed 23-19 off Dempsey's kill. Georgia Southern scored the last two points for the 25-19 victory.
- Set Four: Russell and Dempsey combined for a block as the Spartans tied the score at 8-8 to start the frame. After the Eagles took a 12-9 lead, USC Upstate came back with three consecutive points to even the score again at 12-12 when Dempsey and McKenna Kirkpatrick teamed up for a block. A Georgia Southern attack error kept the Spartans within a two-point margin at 17-15. The Eagles concluded on an 8-4 run to capture the set 25-19 and match 3-1.
- USC Upstate closes out play at the GATA Challenge at 9 a.m. on Saturday morning versus Savannah State.
Follow USC Upstate volleyball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateVB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).