Jacksonville, Fla. – Madison Haake compiled her team-leading sixth double-double of the season, and Payton Duncan had a team-high 13 kills, as the USC Upstate volleyball team opened play at the UNF Invitational on Friday afternoon with a 3-1 loss to the Furman Paladins at UNF Arena.
USC Upstate falls to 1-7 on the season while Furman improves to 2-5 overall.
The Paladins won the match by scores of 25-22, 21-25, 25-19, 25-22.
STATS OF THE MATCH
- Haake's double-double of 31 assists and 13 digs give her six for the season as well as the 54th of her career.
- Duncan recorded her third match with double-digit kills this season after posting a team-high 13 and fell short of a double-double with nine digs.
- Morgan Deaville led the Spartans defensively with 14 digs.
- Hunter Thompson had a double-double for Furman on 51 assists and 14 digs.
- Jordan McNeill led all players with 17 kills while Nicole Mack contributed 15.
- Meg DeMaar tallied a match-high 21 digs.
- USC Upstate had a .258 team hitting percentage in the first set and hit .375 in the second.
- Both teams had five total team blocks.
- The match featured 29 ties and 11 lead changes.
- Set One: The teams traded the opening 16 points as the Spartans tied the set at 8-8 on a Paladin attack error. USC Upstate would then go on a 9-3 run and held a 17-11 advantage off Kirkpatrick's kill. Furman came back and went ahead of the Spartans 23-19 before USC Upstate cut its deficit down to 24-22 on a kill from Haake. The Paladins won the set on the following play.
- Set Two: Neither team led by more than four points for the duration of the frame. Furman held an early 8-6 lead off a kill but the Spartans came back to tie the score at 10-10 on Mackenzie Lauer's kill. The lead changed hands numerous times midway until the Paladins took a 20-18 lead off a kill. USC Upstate concluded the set on a strong note limiting Furman to just one point. The Spartans finished the set on a 7-1 run and won 25-21 on back-to-back kills by Duncan.
- Set Three: USC Upstate scored six of the first 10 points and led 6-4 on a Paladin service error. A combination block from Duncan and Emily Russell kept the Spartans lead at 10-8 several plays later. Furman followed with a 9-3 run and went in front 17-13 on a kill. USC Upstate would get as close as 18-15 late on a ball handling error. The Paladins led by as many as six points and captured the frame at 25-19 on a Spartan attack error.
- Set Four: USC Upstate went on a 10-4 run to start the set following two straight Furman attack errors. The Paladins got to within one point but the Spartans held off the charge to lead 16-13 after a kill by Lauren Phillips. Duncan kept the Spartans advantage at 19-16 with her kill. USC Upstate would be held to three points the rest of the way as Furman posted a 9-3 run to win 25-22 and capture the match 3-1.
- The Spartans close out play at the UNF Invitational on Saturday afternoon.
- USC Upstate faces host North Florida at 1 p.m. and New Mexico at 4 p.m.
Follow USC Upstate volleyball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateVB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).