Cookeville, Tenn. – Emily Russell set a new career-high with 10 kills, while Madison Haake added her fifth double-double of the season, as the USC Upstate volleyball team closed out play at the Golden Eagle Invitational with a 3-2 loss to the New Orleans Privateers at the Eblen Center.
USC Upstate falls to 0-6 overall while New Orleans improves to 3-4 on the season.
The Privateers won the match by scores of 20-25, 25-20, 19-25, 25-20 and 15-8.
STATS OF THE MATCH
- Russell was one of two Spartans to finish with double-digit kills along with Lily Dempsey. Dempsey led the team with 13 kills.
- Haake recorded the 54th double-double of her career, and third this weekend, after compiling 37 assists and 11 digs.
- Morgan Deaville tallied a career-high 20 digs to lead the Spartans defensively.
- Payton Duncan added 15 digs.
- Blessing Dunn and Sarah Thomas both had double-doubles for New Orleans. Dunn posted 12 kills and 16 digs while Thomas registered 43 assists and 10 digs.
- USC Upstate hit a match-high .302 during the third set.
- The Spartans finished the game with 67 digs, 49 kills and 45 assists.
- New Orleans had a team-best .367 hitting percentage in the second set.
- The match featured 25 ties and 11 lead changes.
- Set One: The teams exchanged the opening 16 points and were tied 8-8 following a USC Upstate attack error. The Spartans responded with four straight points and took a 12-8 lead when Haake and Gloria Ikenegbu combined for a block. New Orleans would later take a 15-14 lead but USC Upstate followed with a 6-1 run and held a 20-16 advantage on a Privateers ball handling error. After New Orleans cut their deficit down to three points, the Spartans scored the final two on UNO errors to win the set 25-20.
- Set Two: Behind the serving of Deaville, USC Upstate scored the first four points and led 4-0 on Deaville's service ace. The Spartans jumped out to an early 9-3 lead after Haake's kill. New Orleans used a 12-6 run to come back and tie the score at 15-15 on an attack error. The Privateers continued their run and held a 22-17 lead late. USC Upstate would get as close as three, 22-19, on an attack error. New Orleans won the set 25-20.
- Set Three: The Spartans opened the set on a 6-2 run and McKenna Kirkpatrick put them ahead 7-3 to start with her kill. The Privateers trimmed the lead down to 12-9 but USC Upstate responded with a 4-1 run and went ahead 16-10 on an attack error. The Spartans took their largest lead of the set at 20-13 after UNO committed an attack error. USC Upstate held off a late charge by New Orleans and won the set 25-19 on a kill by Duncan.
- Set Four: After the teams traded the first 10 points, the Spartans went on a 7-2 run and held a 12-7 lead off an attack error. Haake kept USC Upstate ahead by four points when her kill put the score at 13-9. The Privateers answered with six straight points and took the lead for good at 15-13. New Orleans held its largest lead of the set at 22-16 on a service ace. The Privateers won the set, 25-20, on a combination block.
- Set Five: New Orleans captured seven of the initial 10 points and held an early 7-3 advantage. A service ace later put UNO ahead 9-4. The Spartans came back with three consecutive points and trailed 9-7 on Russell's service ace. New Orleans finished the set on a 6-1 run and won the set 15-8, capturing the 3-2 match victory.
- USC Upstate is at home for the first time this season on Wednesday, Sept. 5 when it hosts North Carolina A&T at 6 p.m.
Follow USC Upstate volleyball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateVB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).