Box Score (.pdf)
Charlotte, N.C. – Madison Haake and Payton Duncan both finished with double-doubles on Saturday afternoon as the USC Upstate volleyball team concluded play at the Charlotte Invitational with a 3-2 loss to the Elon Phoenix at Halton Arena.
USC Upstate falls to 0-3 on the season while Elon improves to 3-0 overall.
The Phoenix won the match by scores of 18-25, 25-16, 17-25, 25-18, 15-12.
STATS OF THE MATCH
- Duncan and Haake both led the Spartans with double-doubles as Duncan had a career-high 15 kills and 17 digs while Haake contributed 39 assists and 10 digs.
- Mackenzie Lauer posted a season-high 10 kills.
- Mackenzie Marcum recorded a new career-high of 17 digs.
- Madi Genaway and Kodi Garcia both had double-doubles for Elon. Genaway tallied 17 kills and 12 digs while Garica had 40 assists and 16 digs.
- Kellyn Trowse added 10 kills.
- USC Upstate held a .124 to .098 advantage over the Phoenix in hitting percentage.
- The Spartans also led 14.0-8.0 in total team blocks.
- The match featured 23 ties and six lead changes.
- Set One: The teams exchanged the first 18 points as Elon evened the score at 9-9 with a kill. Emily Russell and Gloria Ikenegbu would put USC Upstate ahead 11-9 a few plays later with a combination block, but the Phoenix would tie the score again at 14-14. The Spartans then proceeded to go on an 8-2 run and led 22-16 on a kill from Duncan. Lauer and McKenna Kirkpatrick gave USC Upstate the 25-18 victory after teaming up for a block.
- Set Two: The second set began in similar fashion as the opening 20 points went back-and-forth as a Phoenix ball handling error tied the score at 10-10. Elon took the lead back but Lauer trimmed the Spartans deficit to 13-12 with her kill. The Phoenix would then go on a 12-4 run and captured the set 25-16 to even the match at 1-1.
- Set Three: USC Upstate started the set on a 6-2 run and led by four points after an Elon attack error. The Spartans held a four-point advantage several times early until a kill from the Phoenix cut their lead down to 10-9. USC Upstate responded by going on a 9-1 run and took a 19-10 lead following a solo block from Kirkpatrick. Elon only got as close as seven points after that as Lauer won the set for the Spartans at 25-17 with her kill.
- Set Four: Lauer and Kirkpatrick tied the score at 4-4 for USC Upstate to start the fourth set. The Phoenix then recorded the next six points to go in front 10-4. The Spartans followed with an 11-4 run of their own as a ball handling error from the Phoenix made the score 15-14. Elon recorded the next six points to go ahead 21-14. USC Upstate got as close as 21-17 late on a Phoenix attack error. A Spartan service error won the set for Elon at 25-18.
- Set Five: USC Upstate went on a 5-2 run to begin the fifth set and led by three on a kill from Russell. Elon came back to tie the score three plays later but the Spartans used two errors to go back ahead 9-6. After the Phoenix evened the score again, Kirkpatrick and Haake combined for a block to give USC Upstate an 11-10 lead. Elon outscored the Spartans 5-1 after that to win the set 15-12 and earn the 3-2 match victory.
- USC Upstate travels to Cookeville, Tenn. next weekend, Aug. 31-Sept. 1, to face Tennessee Tech, East Carolina and New Orleans at the Golden Eagle Invitational.
Follow USC Upstate volleyball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateVB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).