Charlotte, N.C. – Madison Haake compiled her first double-double of the season on Saturday morning as the USC Upstate volleyball team dropped a 3-1 decision to the Charlotte 49ers in its second match of the Charlotte Invitational from Halton Arena.
USC Upstate falls to 0-2 on the season while Charlotte improves to 2-1 overall.
STATS OF THE MATCH
- Haake led the Spartans with a double-double after finishing the match with 31 assists and 12 digs.
- McKenna Kirkpatrick paced the USC Upstate offense with a team-high 10 kills and hit .296 for the match.
- Payton Duncan set two new career-highs posting 24 digs and four service aces.
- Mackenzie Marcum also recorded a new career-high defensively with 14 digs.
- Sydney Rowan, Nya Steele and Sofie Perrens all had double-doubles for the 49ers.
- Rowan led all players with 14 kills while Steele dished out 20 assists.
- Yumi Garcia had a game-high 28 digs.
- The Spartans compiled a .235 hitting percentage in the third set while limiting Charlotte to a .091 team mark.
- The 49ers recorded a .277 hitting percentage in the match.
- Set One: USC Upstate captured five of the first seven points and led 5-2 off a kill by Lauren Phillips. Charlotte followed with a 10-1 run and took a 12-6 lead midway on a combination block. The Spartans would get as close as 12-8 following Phillips' service ace. The 49ers would go on a 13-4 run after that and win the set 25-12 on an attack error.
- Set Two: The teams exchanged the first 14 points and sat tied at 7-7 on a kill by Lily Dempsey. Mackenzie Lauer and Emily Russell got USC Upstate to within one, 11-10, after teaming up for a combination block. Charlotte followed by scoring five of the next six points and held a 16-11 advantage, forcing the Spartans into a timeout. After Russell cut the deficit down to 16-12 the following play, the 49ers outscored USC Upstate 9-4 the rest of the way for the 25-16 victory.
- Set Three: Charlotte opened the set on a 6-2 run and took a four-point lead on a service ace. The Spartans responded with an 11-7 run and evened the score at 13-13 on an attack error. Duncan gave USC Upstate the lead on the next play. The 49ers would take the lead back at 17-15 but the Spartans answered with a 7-1 run and led 22-18 on a Charlotte attack error. Gloria Ikenegbu gave USC Upstate its largest lead of the set at 24-19 with her kill. A 49er attack error gave the Spartans the 25-20 win.
- Set Four: USC Upstate trailed 8-7 early in the set after scoring back-to-back points on Russell's kill and a service ace from Duncan. Kirkpatrick kept the Spartans within one at 11-10 following her kill. Charlotte broke the set open courtesy of an 8-2 run and held a 19-12 lead off a USC Upstate attack error. The 49ers scored the final two points for the 25-17 set victory and 3-1 match win.
- The Spartans close out play at the Charlotte Invitational at 3 p.m. against Elon.
Follow USC Upstate volleyball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateVB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).