Charlotte, N.C. – The USC Upstate volleyball team received seven kills apiece from Lauren Phillips and Emily Russell on Friday afternoon as the Spartans opened their 2018 season with a 3-0 loss to the Virginia Tech Hokies on day one of the Charlotte Invitational from Halton Arena.
USC Upstate falls to 0-1 on the season while Virginia Tech improves to 1-0 overall.
The Hokies won the match by scores of 25-14, 25-18 and 25-15.
STATS OF THE MATCH
- Phillips, who was playing in her first collegiate match, and Russell both led the Spartans offensively with seven kills.
- Phillips tied with Mackenzie Marcum, who also appeared in her first collegiate match, with six digs each.
- Madison Haake recorded a team-high 19 assists and eight digs.
- Kaity Smith led all players for Virginia Tech with 14 kills.
- Talyn Jackson and Rhegan Mitchell combined for 30 assists with Jackson collecting 16 and Mitchell 14.
- Mitchell and Ester Talamazzi both had a team-leading nine digs.
- The match featured 11 ties and three lead changes.
- Set One: The Hokies opened the game scoring seven of the first 10 points and led 7-3 on a Kylie Thomas service ace. USC Upstate came back with five of the next nine points and cut its deficit down to 10-9 on a kill by Haake. Payton Duncan kept the Spartans within two, 12-10, with her kill. Virginia Tech finished the set on a 12-4 run and won 25-14.
- Set Two: After exchanging the first six points, USC Upstate would go ahead 7-4 on a service error and kill from McKenna Kirkpatrick. The Hokies came back to tie the score at 9-9 and the teams were later tied 16-16 on a Virginia Tech attack error. The Spartans stayed within a two-point margin with the last coming at 19-17 after Kirkpatrick's kill. The Hokies registered six of the last seven points and captured the set 25-18.
- Set Three: USC Upstate received a kill by Lily Dempsey and a Virginia Tech attack error to hold an early 5-3 lead. After the Hokies came back to take a 7-6 advantage, Russell answered the following play with a kill to even the score. A Virginia Tech service error kept the score tied at 8-8. The Hokies broke the set open courtesy of an 11-2 run and took a 19-10 lead off a combination block. A Spartan attack error gave Virginia Tech the 25-15 set win and 3-0 match victory.
- USC Upstate closes out play at the Charlotte Invitational on Saturday.
- The Spartans face Charlotte at 10 a.m. and Elon at 3 p.m.
Follow USC Upstate volleyball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateVB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).