Nashville, Tenn. – Montana Swanson netted her sixth double-double of the season on Thursday evening but the No. 6 seed USC Upstate volleyball team saw its season come to an end with a 3-0 loss to the third-seeded Florida Gulf Coast Eagles in the quarterfinals of the ASUN Volleyball Championship at Lipscomb's Allen Arena.
The Eagles won the match by scores of 25-16, 25-12 and 25-21.
STATS OF THE MATCH
- Swanson picked up her second straight double-double performance to lead the Spartans offensively with 11 kills and 11 digs.
- Lily Dempsey, who was named a unanimous ASUN All-Freshman Team selection on Wednesday, collected eight kills and hit .214 for the match after committing just two errors on 28 attack attempts.
- ASUN Second Team All-Conference selection Madison Haake dished out 23 assists and added seven digs.
- Kaleigh Kelley paced Upstate defensively with 17 digs allowing her to finish second all-time as a Spartan, and 10th in ASUN history, at 1,556 for her career.
- Snowy Burnam had a match-high 12 kills for FGCU while Giovanna Borgiotti added 11.
- Maggie Rick contributed a double-double and Amanda Carroll led all players with 20 digs.
- Set One: Upstate held an early 8-7 lead in the first set on a kill from Swanson. The teams traded the opening 26 points and the Spartans tied the frame at 13-13 when Dempsey and Briana Tellschow combined for a block. Florida Gulf Coast recorded the next four points to hold a 17-13 advantage. Including the four straight points, the Eagles finished the set on a 12-3 run to win 25-16.
- Set Two: FGCU started the second set scoring five of the first seven points before Upstate would go on a 5-2 run of its own to even the score at 7-7 on Dempsey's kill. Swanson kept the Spartans within one point, 9-8, with her kill and later made the score 11-9 off another kill. Florida Gulf Coast held Upstate to three points the rest of the way and captured the set 25-12.
- Set Three: The Eagles led by as many as four points to begin the third set until the Spartans cut the deficit down to one, 10-9, on a kill by Callie Yeargin. FGCU later took its largest lead of the set at 15-10 and maintained that margin by going ahead 17-12. Upstate then used three straight kills by McKenna Kirkpatrick and one from Swanson to tie the score at 17-17. Dempsey kept the score even at 18-18 two plays later. The Eagles grabbed the lead back but Swanson's 11th kill of the match trimmed the advantage to 21-20. FGCU finished the set on a 4-1 run for the 25-21 victory.
Follow Upstate volleyball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateVB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).