Jacksonville, Fla. – Montana Swanson and Madison Haake each compiled double-doubles on Saturday evening as the USC Upstate volleyball team concluded its regular season with a 3-2 loss to the Jacksonville Dolphins inside Historic Swisher Gym.
The Dolphins won the match by scores of 21-25, 25-19, 24-26, 25-22 and 15-10.
STATS OF THE MATCH
- Haake compiled her 11th double-double of the season while Swanson notched her fifth.
- Haake finished the match with 47 assists and 17 digs and Swanson contributed 15 kills and 18 digs.
- Lily Dempsey led Upstate offensively with 16 kills.
- Kaleigh Kelley added 24 digs on the defensive side and moved past Mandy Rupert (2003-06) into second place all-time for career digs with 1,539.
- McKenna Kirkpatrick collected a .292 hitting percentage after finishing with eight kills and committed just one error on 24 attack attempts.
- Mallory Mattingly and Cristina Finan each had double-doubles for Jacksonville and were two of four players to have double-digit kills.
- Alleah Stamatis dished out 61 assists and Mackenzie Swan tallied 30 digs.
- The Spartans held a .184 to .172 advantage over the Dolphins in hitting percentage and recorded a season-high 14.0 blocks.
- Set One: Jacksonville started the set by scoring six of the first nine points to lead 6-3. Upstate followed with five of the next six to go ahead 8-7 on a Dolphin attack error. The Spartans later scored four consecutive points, capped by another Jacksonville attack error, to lead 13-10. Upstate then went on an 8-4 run and took its largest lead at 21-14. The Dolphins came back to within two, 23-21, forcing the Spartans into a timeout. The Spartans scored the final two points on a kill by Callie Yeargin and combination block from Dempsey and Brianna Tellschow to win 25-21.
- Set Two: Jacksonville opened the second set on a 3-1 run before Upstate took a 5-4 lead on Dempsey's service ace. After the Dolphins went in front 13-9, the Spartans came back to within one point four times with the last coming at 16-15 on a kill by Swanson. Dempsey kept Upstate's deficit at two points, 20-18, with her kill. Jacksonville finished the set on a 5-1 run for the 25-19 victory.
- Set Three: The teams traded the first six points of the third set before the Spartans used a 7-2 run to go in front 10-5 on a JU attack error. Upstate would go up by four before the Dolphins tied the set at 13-13. Jacksonville went ahead twice midway and led 21-18 on a Spartan attack error. Dempsey gave the lead back to Upstate at 23-22 with her kill and the set would go into extra points tied at 24-24. A kill by Dempsey and Kirkpatrick's solo block gave the Spartans the 26-24 triumph.
- Set Four: The fourth set featured eight ties and six lead changes. The frame began in similar fashion as the third set with the score sitting tied at 9-9 on a kill by Gloria Ikenegbu. The Dolphins benefitted from a 7-2 run and held a 16-11 lead after two straight kills from Mattingly. Jacksonville led 22-17 late until Upstate staged a late rally and got to within one, 23-22, on Yeargin's kill. JU scored the last two points to win 25-22.
- Set Five: The Spartans took an early 7-5 lead in the fifth set when Ikenegbu and Haake combined for a block. The Dolphins came back with a 7-1 run to hold a 12-8 advantage. Jacksonville would win the fifth set 15-10 on a kill and took the match 3-2.
- The 2017 ASUN Volleyball Championship will be held Thursday through Saturday, Nov. 16-18, in Nashville, Tenn. and is being hosted by Lipscomb.
- Upstate is the sixth seed in next week's tournament and will face third-seeded Florida Gulf Coast at 8:30 p.m. ET on Thursday evening.
Follow Upstate volleyball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateVB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).