Spartanburg, S.C. – Kaleigh Kelley reached a career milestone, while Madison Haake added a triple-double, on Sunday afternoon as the USC Upstate volleyball team dropped its final home match of the season, 3-1, to the Florida Gulf Coast Eagles inside the G.B. Hodge Center.
Florida Gulf Coast won the match by scores of 21-25, 25-21, 25-18 and 25-18.
STATS OF THE MATCH
- Kelley led Upstate defensively with 22 digs and surpassed Megan Healey (2007-10) as the program's all-time Division I leader in career digs with 1,503. Kelley currently sits eight digs away from passing Mandy Rupert (2003-06) for second all-time.
- Haake recorded her fifth triple-double this season, and 13th of her career, after finishing with 11 kills, 31 assists and 17 digs. She also had a .357 hitting percentage after committing just one attack error in 28 attempts.
- Callie Yeargin had a team-high 14 kills to lead the Spartans offense.
- Montana Swanson just missed on a double-double with nine kills and 18 digs.
- Maggie Rick, Snowy Burnam and Cortney Vanliew each had double-doubles for the Eagles.
- Courtney Stephens led all players with 23 digs.
- Florida Gulf Coast held a .215 to .154 advantage over Upstate in hitting percentage.
- Set One: The opening set featured 10 ties and four lead changes. The teams traded the first 18 points before the Spartans scored three straight to lead 12-9 on a kill by Rebecca Shearer. FGCU came back to tie the set and then led 15-13, forcing Upstate into a timeout. The Spartans would then go on a 10-2 run to lead 23-17 capped by an Eagle attack error. Florida Gulf Coast cut the lead down to 24-21 but Yeargin won the set for Upstate the following play.
- Set Two: The Eagles scored four of the first five points to begin the second set only to see the Spartans answer back with a 10-7 run and even the score at 11-11 on Yeargin's kill. FGCU broke the set open after going on a 9-3 run to lead 20-15. Upstate attempted a late rally and got to within three points, 22-19, after a kill from Lily Dempsey. The Eagles scored three of the final five points to win 25-21.
- Set Three: The Spartans started the third set on a 6-2 run capped by back-to-back FGCU attack errors. Florida Gulf Coast came back with a 9-2 run to go in front 11-8. Upstate cut its deficit down to 12-11 midway when Swanson connected on a kill. The Eagles led by as many as seven points twice beginning at 24-17 after a kill finished a 12-6 run. Florida Gulf Coast captured the frame two plays later putting the final score at 25-18.
- Set Four: After splitting the first 10 points of the fourth set, the Spartans recorded four straight to lead 9-5 following a media timeout. FGCU came back to tie the set four plays later and continued its 12-1 run midway to hold a 17-10 advantage. Upstate answered back with a 6-2 run and trimmed the lead down to 19-16 when Payton Duncan recorded a kill. The Eagles concluded the set scoring six of the last eight points to take the set 25-18 and match 3-1.
- The Spartans wrap up their regular season next weekend, Nov. 10-11, at North Florida and Jacksonville.
Follow Upstate volleyball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateVB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).