Spartanburg, S.C. – Lily Dempsey finished with a team-high 15 kills and was one of three USC Upstate volleyball players to hit over .300 on Friday evening as the Spartans dropped a 3-0 decision in conference play to the Lipscomb Bisons from the G.B. Hodge Center.
The Bisons won the match by scores of 25-19, 25-20 and 25-22.
STATS OF THE MATCH
- Dempsey, Montana Swanson and Madison Haake each hit over .300 to lead Upstate offensively led by a .833 hitting percentage from Haake. Swanson hit .429 for the match while Dempsey hit .312 overall.
- Swanson and Haake each did not have an attack error on a combined 27 attempts.
- The 15 kills recorded by Dempsey, the reigning ASUN Freshman of the Week, marks the 11th time this season that she has tallied double-digit kills in a match.
- Swanson just missed on a double-double with nine kills and a team-high 13 digs.
- Haake dished out 36 assists to go with five kills and four digs.
- Kaleigh Kelley added nine digs and now puts her 48 away from becoming the program's Division I record holder for career digs.
- Carlyle Nusbaum led Lipscomb with 15 kills and was one of four players for the Bisons to have 10 or more.
- Morgan Elmore dished out 44 assists and Brittany Thomas posted 13 digs.
- The Spartans finished the match with a .280 hitting percentage highlighted by a .344 clip in the second set.
- Set One: The teams traded the first three points of the first set as Swanson tied the score at 3-3 with her kill. Lipscomb used a 10-4 run to go in front 13-7 and led by as many as eight, 19-11, late in the set. Upstate came back with a 6-1 run of its own to cut the deficit to 20-17 following a kill by Dempsey. The Spartans stayed within three points twice after that with the last coming at 22-19 on a kill from Haake. The Bisons scored the last three points to win 25-19.
- Set Two: The second set featured a total of eight ties and three lead changes. The score was tied seven times over the first 26 points as Upstate held a 14-13 advantage midway after a combination block by Swanson and Gloria Ikenegbu. The Spartans scored the next three points to extend their lead to 16-13 off Dempsey's kill. Lipscomb came back with an 11-3 run to lead 24-19 and won the set two plays later.
- Set Three: Upstate scored five of the first seven points of the third set and went ahead 5-2 on a kill by Callie Yeargin. The Spartans maintained their three-point lead several plays later at 8-5 on Dempsey's kill. Upstate led for a majority of the set and went back in front by three, 19-16, late when Ikenegbu connected on a kill. The Bisons outscored the Spartans 9-3 the rest of the way for the 25-22 set win and 3-0 match victory.
- Upstate remains at home on Sunday afternoon when it hosts Kennesaw State at 2 p.m.
Follow Upstate volleyball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateVB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).