Buies Creek, N.C. – The USC Upstate softball team was eliminated from the Big South Softball Championship on Friday dropping two games to the top-seeded Longwood Lancers and No. 4 seed Winthrop Eagles at Campbell's Amanda Littlejohn Stadium.
The Spartans fell in game one to the Lancers 4-2 before dropping a 2-1 decision to the Eagles in game two.
USC Upstate falls to 41-15 overall while Longwood improves to 36-19 and Winthrop 29-24.
GAME ONE – USC UPSTATE 2, LONGWOOD 4
- Top 3rd – Sarah Price gave the Spartans an early 1-0 lead with one out on her RBI single to center field. Riley Sheehy scored from second on the base hit after leading off the inning with a single and advanced on Kayla Hussey's sacrifice bunt.
- Top 4th – USC Upstate extended their lead to 2-0 on an RBI double down the left field line by Alicia Dorgan. Alyssa Oakes, who led off the inning with a single, scored from first on Dorgan's double.
- Bottom 4th – The Lancers answered by scoring four times on a grand slam to left field by Chelsea Whitcomb.
- Christina Biggerstaff (26-5) suffered the loss giving up four runs on five hits, one walk and six strikeouts in six innings of work.
- Sydney Backstrom (18-10) picked up the win throwing a complete game and surrendered two runs on five hits, no walks and eight strikeouts in seven innings of work.
- Price led the Spartans offensively with two hits in three plate appearances and one RBI.
- Dorgan went 1-for-3 with one RBI.
- Oakes and Sheehy both had one hit and one run scored.
- Karleigh Donovan had a team-high two hits for Longwood while Whitcomb added four RBI.
GAME TWO – WINTHROP 2, USC UPSTATE 1
- Bottom 4th – Brittany Case scored the game's first run after she stole third base and came home after an Eagle throwing error. Case started the inning with a single to right field and moved to second on a ground out from Megan Obier.
- Top 5th – Winthrop came back in the fifth to score twice and took a 2-1 lead on an RBI single by Morgan Lowers while Blake Wallert crossed home plate when Ashley Westbrooks reached on a fielder's choice.
- Biggerstaff (26-6) took the loss in relief allowing two runs on five hits, no walks and four strikeouts in four innings of work.
- Erin Hill started the game for USC Upstate and pitched three innings while giving up no runs on one hit, two walks and two strikeouts.
- Bella Roy (4-5) recorded the win pitching a complete game and surrendered one run (none earned) on six hits, five walks and no strikeouts.
- Price and Case both had a team-high two hits for the Spartans.
- Dorgan and Elisa Cecchetti each compiled one hit.
- Case scored one run.
- Six different players had one hit for the Eagles while Lowers registered one RBI.
Follow USC Upstate softball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateSoftball), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).