Rock Hill, S.C. – The USC Upstate softball team closed out its three-game series against the Winthrop Eagles on Monday dropping both games, their final conference contests of the season, at Terry Field.
USC Upstate falls to 38-13 on the season and 18-6 in Big South play while the Eagles improve to 23-22 overall and 12-9 in the conference.
The Eagles won the games by scores of 8-7 in game one and 3-1 in game two. The first game of the day was resumed from Saturday after play was halted due to weather in the top of the sixth inning.
GAME ONE – USC UPSTATE 7, WINTHROP 8
- Top 1st – The Spartans recorded four runs in the top of the first to hold an early 4-0 lead. Brittany Case highlighted the inning by hitting her sixth home run of the season, a three-run blast, to left field. Makenna Helton and Alyssa Oakes both scored on Case's home run. Kristen Wright followed by driving in Megan Obier, who reached on an infield single, with her RBI single to right field.
- Top 2nd – Helton increased USC Upstate's lead to 5-0 in the second with her RBI ground out to shortstop. Sarah Price crossed home plate on the ground out after reaching on a triple the previous at-bat.
- Bottom 2nd – Winthrop cut the Spartans lead down to 5-1 on an RBI fielder's choice from Blake Wallert.
- Top 4th – Oakes put USC Upstate's lead back at five runs, 6-1, with her RBI infield single. Helton came home after reaching on a fielder's choice and then stole second base.
- Bottom 4th – An RBI single by Ashley Westbrooks down the third base line made the score 6-2.
- Bottom 5th – Winthrop scored five runs in the bottom of the fifth and went ahead of the Spartans 7-6. Westbrooks highlighted the inning with her two-RBI double while Wallert added an RBI single. The Eagles also scored on a Spartan fielding error.
- Top 7th – Obier tied the game at 7-7 in the top of the seventh with her RBI single to left field. Helton scored after reaching on a lead off infield single.
- Bottom 7th – Winthrop won the game, 8-7, in the bottom of the seventh on a walk off single by Taylor Charlton.
- Erin Hill (13-9) suffered the loss allowing five runs (three earned) on eight hits, five walks and three strikeouts in 5.1 innings of work.
- Madyson Watson (12-4) picked up the win pitching a complete game and gave up seven runs (five earned) on 12 hits, no walks and six strikeouts.
- Oakes led USC Upstate going 3-for-4 with one RBI and one run scored.
- Price, Helton, Obier and Wright each had two hits.
- Case contributed a team-high three RBI.
- Helton, Obier and Wright all compiled one RBI.
- Westbrooks went 2-for-4 with three RBI and one run scored.
- Ansley Gilreath added three hits and Wallert two RBI.
GAME TWO – USC UPSTATE 1, WINTHROP 3
- Top 4th – Alicia Dorgan drew an RBI walk with the bases loaded to give the Spartans a 1-0 lead. Savannah Grigsby, who was pinch-running for Oakes, came home after stealing second base and moving to third on Case's single to right field.
- Bottom 4th – The Eagles tied the game at 1-1 in their half of the fourth on an RBI single from Westbrooks.
- Bottom 6th – Winthrop went ahead 3-1 after scoring twice on a two-RBI double to left field by Kiley Majette.
- Christina Biggerstaff (24-4) took the loss throwing six innings and gave up three runs (one earned) on six hits, no walks and seven strikeouts.
- Majette (7-12) received the win pitching 3.2 scoreless innings of relief and did not allow a hit while striking out four.
- Helton and Case both had one hit to lead USC Upstate offensively.
- Dorgan tallied one RBI while Grigsby scored one run.
- Charlton recorded two hits for the Eagles and Majette had two RBI.
- The Spartans close out their regular season on Wednesday evening when they travel to Furman for a doubleheader beginning at 5 p.m.
Follow USC Upstate softball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateSoftball), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).