Columbia, S.C. – The USC Upstate softball team saw its 14-game winning streak come to an end on Wednesday evening as the Spartans dropped a 10-2 non-conference decision in six innings against the 15th-ranked South Carolina Gamecocks at Carolina Softball Stadium.
USC Upstate falls to 37-11 on the season while South Carolina improves to 32-12 overall.
- Top 1st – Alyssa Oakes gave the Spartans an early 1-0 lead in the first on a solo home run to right field. It was Oakes' team-leading 22nd home run of the season.
- Top 2nd – Alicia Dorgan extended USC Upstate's lead to 2-0 in the top of the second on a solo home run, her fifth of the season, to center field.
- Bottom 2nd – The Gamecocks responded with four runs in their half of the second to go ahead 4-2. Jana Johns highlighted the inning with her two-RBI single to left field. Kennedy Clark and Lauren Stewart added RBI infield singles.
- Bottom 4th – South Carolina extended its lead to 6-2 in the fourth on an RBI double by Cayla Drotar and Stewart's RBI ground out.
- Bottom 6th – The Gamecocks added four more runs in the bottom of the sixth to secure the 10-2 victory. Alexis Lindsey and Madison Owens started the scoring with a pair of RBI singles. Jordan Fabian added an RBI fielder's choice and Mackenzie Boesel ended the game with an RBI sacrifice fly to center field.
- Drotar (9-5) earned the win in relief pitching three scoreless innings and gave up one hit and had one strikeout.
- Erin Hill (13-8) suffered the loss allowing four runs (three earned) on six hits, two walks and no strikeouts in two innings of work.
- Celina Sullivan came on in relief and threw 3.2 innings and surrendered six runs on eight hits, three walks and two strikeouts.
- Oakes, Dorgan and Kristen Wright all had one hit apiece for the Spartans.
- Oakes and Dorgan contributed one RBI and one run scored.
- With her home run in the first, Oakes is now one home run away from tying Shellie Robinson (2015) and two RBI from Stacey Berrong (1996) for the single-season school records.
- Johns and Owens led South Carolina offensively with three hits.
- Johns and Stewart each drove in a team-leading two RBI.
- USC Upstate plays its final conference series of the season this weekend, April 19-20, traveling to Winthrop for a three-game series.
Follow USC Upstate softball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateSoftball), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).