Spartanburg, S.C. – Christina Biggerstaff recorded a win and save in the circle on Saturday afternoon, while Alyssa Oakes continued her climb up the single-season home run and RBI record book, as the USC Upstate softball team swept the Radford Highlanders in the series-opening doubleheader at Cyrill Stadium.
USC Upstate improves to 36-10 on the season and 16-4 in Big South play while Radford falls to 18-25 overall and 8-7 in the conference. The Spartans have now won 13 games in a row and 11 straight against conference opponents.
USC Upstate swept the Highlanders by scores of 4-0 in game one and 9-5 in game two.
GAME ONE – RADFORD 0, USC UPSTATE 4
- Bottom 6th – The Spartans scored all four of their runs in the bottom of the sixth to go ahead 4-0. Brittany Case highlighted the inning, and began the scoring, with her two-RBI double to left center field. Riley Sheehy, pinch-running for Oakes, scored as Megan Obier reached on a fielder's choice and Case came home on a Radford throwing error.
- Biggerstaff (22-3) won her eighth straight start after pitching a complete game shutout, her 13th of the season, and gave up just two hits and two walks while striking out seven.
- Biggerstaff is now tied with Maricela Panuco (2000) for 10th in wins in a season.
- Jessie Marvin (8-11) suffered the loss allowing four runs (two earned) on four hits, one walk and one strikeout in six innings of work.
- Kristen Wright led USC Upstate offensively with two hits in three plate appearances.
- Case added two RBI on one hit and scored one run.
- Obier contributed one RBI.
- Sarah Price compiled one hit and one run scored.
- Talia Douglas and Destiny Freeman each had one hit for the Highlanders.
GAME TWO – RADFORD 5, USC UPSTATE 9
- Bottom 1st – Oakes gave the Spartans an early 1-0 lead in the first on her RBI double to left center field.
- Bottom 2nd – USC Upstate extended its lead to 3-0 after scoring twice in the bottom of the second. Alicia Dorgan plated Wright for the first run on her RBI sacrifice bunt. Kayla Hussey followed with an RBI single to left field.
- Bottom 3rd – Oakes led off the third hitting her team-leading 20th home run of the season to left center field to give the Spartans a 4-0 lead.
- Bottom 4th – An RBI sacrifice bunt from Price and Makenna Helton's RBI single to left center field highlighted a two-run inning for USC Upstate as it went ahead 6-0.
- Top 5th – Radford came back to score five times in the fifth and trimmed its deficit down to 6-5. Douglas had a two-RBI triple down the right field line while Freeman, Hannah Medlam and Sofia Tapia each tallied one RBI.
- Bottom 6th – The Spartans answered by scoring three times in the sixth to increase their lead to 9-5. Oakes began the scoring with her RBI single to left field and Case followed with a two-RBI double to center field.
- Erin Hill (13-7) picked up the win throwing four innings and surrendered five runs on nine hits, one walk and three strikeouts.
- Biggerstaff (2) retired nine of the 10 batters she faced in relief to earn the save pitching three scoreless innings and allowed one hit on no walks and three strikeouts.
- Kayla Huffman (9-12) took the loss pitching two innings and gave up four runs on six hits, no walks and no strikeouts.
- USC Upstate stole a season-high 10 bases in game two of the doubleheader.
- The 10 stolen bases set a new Division I era record for most in a game.
- The Spartans now have 136 stolen bases this season which are the most in a season during the program's Division I era and sixth-most in a season in school history.
- Oakes has tied Stacey Berrong (1996) for second in home runs in a season with 20 and matched Vanessa Flores (2007) for second-most RBI in a season with 66.
- Oakes is now the program's Division I era record holder for most RBI in a season.
- Oakes finished the game 3-for-4 with three RBI and two runs scored.
- Hussey tied Oakes for the team-lead with three hits and added two runs scored and one RBI.
- Helton added two hits, one RBI and one run scored.
- Case tallied one hit and two RBI.
- Price had one RBI.
- Freeman went 3-for-4 with one RBI and one run scored for the Highlanders while Douglas had two RBI.
- USC Upstate wraps up its three-game series with Radford on Sunday afternoon at 1 p.m.
- The Spartans will hold their Senior Day festivities prior to first pitch as they honor Hussey, Obier, Wright, Case, Biggerstaff and Elisa Cecchetti.
Follow USC Upstate softball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateSoftball), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).